[efloraofindia:34580] Arundo donax from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2010, 2:37:02 PM5/11/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, Flowers of India
Arundo donax L. from Herbal Garden, Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi. Photographed in January, 2010. Eng: Great reed, Spanish cane. Hindi: Bara nal; Punjab: Bansi; Beng: Gaha nal

Reed used for mats, baskets, trays, fishing rods and musical instruments. Stalks and leaves used for pulp used for high grade paper. Also used for manufacture of rayon.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Arundo-donax-Delhi-1.jpg
Arundo-donax-Delhi-2.jpg
Arundo-donax-Delhi-3.jpg

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 3:25:30 PM5/11/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Great sir i have seen this in wild many times mostly in Corbett ntional Park,
Tanay

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Arundo donax L. from Herbal Garden, Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi. Photographed in January, 2010. Eng: Great reed, Spanish cane. Hindi: Bara nal; Punjab: Bansi; Beng: Gaha nal

Reed used for mats, baskets, trays, fishing rods and musical instruments. Stalks and leaves used for pulp used for high grade paper. Also used for manufacture of rayon.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

R. Vijayasankar

May 11, 2010, 6:05:19 PM5/11/10
to tanay bose, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Dear Gurcharan ji,

I used to always get confused with this and Phragmites karka. Pl tell us how to distinguish them. In our place we have one with compact inflorescence and we used to identify it as Arundo donax.
In that way it looks different to me.

Thanx.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2010, 10:46:44 PM5/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Vijayasankar ji
I agree grasses are often difficult to differentiate. I had checked spikelets at the time of taking photograph, and opted for Arundo on the basis of hairs arising from the back of lemma and not callus. Also Phragmites is generally a plant of wet banks or shallow waters. This one grows in normal terrestrial habitat in garden. Also the leaves are much broader than Phragmites I know. Any how if you have doubt about its identity, I will recheck when it comes to flower..

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

R. Vijayasankar

May 11, 2010, 11:33:51 PM5/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thanks Gurcharan ji, for the clarification.

In our place (TN), we have this plant plentily along watercourses. As i mentioned the panicle is compact, not effuse as it is in your picture. I may be wrong also. Grass experts may throw more light on this.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

May 12, 2010, 12:11:30 AM5/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Vijayasankar ji
May be you are ultimately right. I will check the plant critically in next few days and report back

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 12, 2010, 11:46:23 AM5/12/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, TANAY BOSE, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Shrikant ji
I went to the site today only and got photographs of blade-sheath junction, ligule, florets, differentiating characters between the two genera. These photographs I hope should settle the identification. Tanay and Anil, this is your research project for today. Phragmites karka or Arundo donax.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman <ayurhari...@gmail.com> wrote:

Excellent post Guru ji...wonderful pictures

This plant is considered as "NALAA" in Ayurveda...i would like to post
the medicinal details later...
I had seen the plant photo in the net but not this much closer view...

Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-4.jpg
Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-4a.jpg
Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-4b.jpg
Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-5.jpg
Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-6.jpg
Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-8.jpg
Arundo-phragmites-Delhi-7.jpg

tanay bose

May 12, 2010, 12:33:15 PM5/12/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Phragmites karka (Retz.) Trin. ex Steud

Synonym:

Arundo karka Retz.

Arundo roxburghii Kunth

Phragmites maxima (Forssk.) Blatter & McCann

Phragmites nepalensis Nees ex Steud.

Phragmites roxburghii (Kunth) Steud.

Perennial reed, with creeping rhizomes. Culms erect, up to 10m high. Leaf-blades 30-80 cm long and 12-40 nun wide, glabrous, rough to the touch beneath (at least in the upper half), the tips attenuate and stiff (occasionally almost smooth or with filiform tips). Panicle 30-50 cm long, 10-20 cm wide, the lowest node often many-branched in a whorl, the branches bare of spikelets for some distance from their base. Spikelets 9-12 mm long, the rhachilla-hairs 4-7 mm long, rather sparse; lower glume just over half as long as the upper; upper glume narrowly elliptic to very narrowly elliptic, 4-6 mm long, acute to subacute; lowest lemma very narrowly elliptic, 7.5-12 mm long; fertile lemmas very narrowly lanceolate, 85-11 mm long.

Arundo donax Linn.

Synonym:

Arundo bengalensis Retz.

Arundo bifaria Retz.

Arundo longifolia Salisb. ex Hook. f.

Arundo triflora Roxb. ex Hook. f.

Perennial, with creeping woody rhizomes. Culms erect, up to 5 m high. Leaf-blades conspicuously distichous, linear-lanceolate, rounded or cordate at the base, 30-60 cm long, 2.5-5 cm wide, glabrous, smooth, long-attenuate at the tip. Panicle 30.60 cm long and 5.8(10) cm wide. Spikelets 10-15 mm long; glumes subequal, lanceolate to narrowly lanceolate, (8-)10-13 mm long, the lower a little shorter than the upper; lemmas lanceolate, (6)8.5-13 mm long, 3-5-nerved, 3 of the nerves produced as short aristae, hairy all over the back below the middle with hairs up to 7 mm long.

My Answer to the question given out by Gurcharan Ji is………..

Phragmites karka

Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

May 12, 2010, 12:40:41 PM5/12/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Dear Tanay
My posting of photographs of ligule fringed with hairs and tuft of long hairs below floret and spiral leaves meant I had concluded this to be Phragmites karka. Thanks Vijayasankar ji, for initiating this process of thorough investigation.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

R. Vijayasankar

May 12, 2010, 5:32:18 PM5/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
What an evidence sir ji?! You are simply great! Thanks for the pictures of P. karka (i am seeing the plant for the first time!). Thanks Tanay for the 'project report'!
The discussions on the group are lively & lovely.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

May 12, 2010, 10:28:56 PM5/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Thanks Vijayasankar ji
All credit to you for initiating the process of reinvestigation.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Swagat

May 14, 2010, 12:01:46 PM5/14/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Dear all,

'Phragmites karka' is called 'Nal' 'नल' or 'Narkul' 'नरकुल' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

Gurcharan Singh

May 14, 2010, 1:14:24 PM5/14/10
to Swagat, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Welcome back Swagat ji with Mathathi names.