Discussion on ficus-racemosa

Dinesh Valke

Apr 8, 2009, 10:57:14 AM4/8/09
to indiantreepix
Hello friends,
... here is my attempt to discuss names of flora.

In the Indic languages, mostly names are found to have their root in
Sanskrit and differ in pronunciation and accent as per regional
parlance.
Sanskrit named plants are those that have medicinal or religious
use ... medicinal plants have their names often descriptive of its
healing capability, and the religious would have the name of diety
suffixed or prefixed ... some of the plants are known for their part
(s) that are edible directly or indirectly ... MUCH ADO ABOUT
NAMES !!!!

... very simply, we must know what, why, how, ... we call our plants,
AND that the common names are as important as the botanical names (:
or possibly more :)

This page for instance - I have compiled names of Ficus racemosa,
commonly known as cluster fig.
My earnest hope is that the names put are also validated; especially
please point out any errors / mistakes.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 8, 2009, 11:07:54 AM4/8/09
to J.M. Garg, Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

... that was the pilot run of "Discuss this page" at our eGroup's page at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/web/ficus-racemosa

Posting a message via page's comment box for some reason does not send the link along with the post in the email.
I will be cautious next time.

Regards.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Dinesh ji,
Page or its link is not appearing.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

J.M. Garg

Apr 9, 2009, 4:27:13 AM4/9/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Hi, Dinesh ji,
I think Ficus hispida is called 'Domur' in Bengali- I don't weather this is also used for Ficus racemosa in Hindi. I think Bengali speaking members may clarify.

Ulhas

Apr 9, 2009, 10:17:04 AM4/9/09
to indiantreepix
Hi

Umbar and Audumbar are well known Marathi names for Ficus recemosa.
In Konkan region it is called / pronounced as 'Rumad'.

Umbar Jal, a well known ayurvedic medicine used to cure uncers, is
sap collected from roots of Umbar trees. Threshholds of the main door
of houses is called 'Umbaratha' in Marathi and is made of Umbar wood.
This is supposed to keep the inmates / visitors of the house healthy.

God Narsinha killed Hiranyakashapu on Umbaratha (threshold) since the
place is neither inside the house nor outside! Hiranyakashpu could
not be killed by anyone within or outside the house.

Umbar tree seems to have a lot of religious / spiritual significance
in Hindu mythology, perhaps due to its unique properties.

Umbar tree is also associated with god Dattatreya and at many places
in the south the shrines are under Umbar trees. Incidently,
Dattatreya is always associated with Cow and Umbar leaves are supposed
to excellent fodder for milch cows.

Umbar definitely has tremendous ecological significance and like all
Ficus species is a member of 'Keystone species'.

A lot of research is going on to study the pollination of Umbar figs
by wasps and the symbiotic association of wasps and figs is turning to
be a fascinating subject for scientists all over the world.

Ulhas Rane

Dinesh Valke

Apr 9, 2009, 10:32:26 AM4/9/09
to Ulhas, indiantreepix