Help ID

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi .

Feb 18, 2009, 8:49:05 AM2/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
HI all,

can u help ID this flower ? This plant has been in my garden for years and its a shame, even with the presence of "indiantreepix" i've never asked for ID.

Regards
Chandan Jyoti Gogoi

--
"If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have at least one exception, excepting this one" ...is there an exception to the rule that states that there is an exception to every rule?
Image022.jpg

Suresh C. Sharma

Feb 18, 2009, 9:07:58 AM2/18/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chandan ji,

It is, my memory fails me on many occasions though, - Tecoma australiasis, or call it Australian Tecoma.
Regards,
Suresh C Sharma

Rakesh Biswas

Feb 18, 2009, 9:11:29 AM2/18/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., indian...@googlegroups.com
Yellow Trumpetbush?

Also Tecoma stans?

rakesh

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi .

Feb 18, 2009, 9:19:47 AM2/18/09
to Rakesh Biswas, Suresh C. Sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all,
 for your reply and prompt mails, But can any body give me actual classification of the plant. When I asked about the plant in a nursery they identified it as "Tacoma gaudichaudi" but still I am not sure and the mails have confused me.

Please reply,
Regards
Chandan Jyoti Gogoi (Bryan Blue)

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 18, 2009, 9:25:42 AM2/18/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., Rakesh Biswas, Suresh C. Sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have two  plants in my garden. I think it is Tecoma gaudichaudi. You can see photos on my my flickr site.
akbhatt

Kenneth Greby

Feb 18, 2009, 10:02:29 AM2/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi .
This is Tecoma stans (Bignoniaceae).

Regards--
Ken Greby
Broward County, Florida USA

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi .

Feb 18, 2009, 10:08:11 AM2/18/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

thanks Ken,

but the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecoma_stans doesn't match the plant in my pic ? Help!

Regards
Chandan

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 18, 2009, 10:51:31 AM2/18/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., Kenneth Greby, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tecoma stans flowers singly and has narrow leaves wheras T. gaudichaudi has broader leaves and has flowers in bunch or cluster. This is clear from Bose's book. However, I stand corrected if I am wrong.
akbhatt

Kenneth Greby

Feb 18, 2009, 10:51:50 AM2/18/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., indian...@googlegroups.com
Chandan--

 The picture (three flowers) in the center of the Wikipedia page is NOT Tecoma stans, rather, it is an Allamanda (Apocyanaceae). The picture on the right is a Tecoma; however, I'm not certain it is T. stans. It could be another species, perhaps T. castanifolia or T. sambucifolia. T. stans typically does not have red markings in the throat. Sorry for the confusion...

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi .

Feb 18, 2009, 10:55:15 AM2/18/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many many thanks all,

but STILL I am confused between T. stans and T. gaudichaudi ? Lets see, if Mr. Garg has anything to comment on it.

Regards,

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 18, 2009, 11:59:56 AM2/18/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tecoma castanifolia and T. gaudichadii are probably synonymous.
akbhatt

Mahendra Prasad

Feb 19, 2009, 4:39:37 AM2/19/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ken,
               I beg to differ from your explanation. The picture in question is slightly overexposed. But all the flowers appear to be of the same sps. All the leaves also appear similar and have serrated edges. The flower petals are short after the tubular portion as in Tecoma sps.  The leaves of Allamanda as seen by me in Kolkata, India do not have serrated edges and appear to be thicker and shinier. The  Allamanda flower is much larger, with petals more like a Hibiscus. I therefore believe it is Tecoma sps.

--- On Wed, 18/2/09, Kenneth Greby <fst...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Get before others grab.

Kenneth Greby

Feb 19, 2009, 10:02:52 AM2/19/09
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi ., mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mahendra---

 I looked at the center photo at full resolution:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow_bells.jpg

 and noticed the whorled, simple foliage at the bottom right of the photograph, characteristic of Allamanda.

 I'll stand by my ID of such at the present, and I welcome others' opinions as well.

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Neil Soares

Feb 19, 2009, 11:39:10 AM2/19/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,
 I am with you. It is Allamanda as are the leaves in the background.
                     Regards,
                       Neil.

Mahendra Prasad

Feb 20, 2009, 3:59:37 AM2/20/09
to fst...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ken,
        Thanks for giving your views on my explanation. Since I am not an expert, I will leave the matter as it is. I think another pix of the flowering branch,  or a close-up shot of a leaf only along with stem may have helped in ID.

Feb 21, 2009, 3:03:43 AM2/21/09
to indiantreepix
Hello

The flowers in picture belongs to Tecoma stans as Allamanda has leaves
with entire margin and are very glossy and the leaves in picture have
serrated margins and are not glossy. Tecoma stans always flowers in
bunches and not singly.

J.M. Garg

Feb 25, 2009, 7:25:00 AM2/25/09
to Nudrat, indiantreepix