ID request-220610-PKA2

Prashant awale

Jun 22, 2010, 1:40:53 PM6/22/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Came across this tree near Lohagad, Lonavala region. Kindly help me with ID..

Date /Time: 20-06-2010 / 06:45AM
Location: Near Bhaje caves (Lohagad- Lonavala region).
Habitat: wild
Plant habit: Large Shrub
Leaves: alternate, around 8 to 10cm, broadly elliptic, crenate, serrate, petioles 1 to 1.5cm (approx).
Flowers were not seen, fruits greenish.

regards
Prashant
IMG_7807-ITP.jpg
IMG_7806-ITP1.jpg
IMG_7806itp.jpg

Neil Soares

Jun 22, 2010, 3:03:19 PM6/22/10
to indiantreepix, Prashant awale
Hi Prashant,
  This is Jyotismati [Celastrus paniculatus] fruiting. Sending you my photographs taken on my property.
                        Regards,
                          Neil.

--- On Tue, 6/22/10, Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com> wrote:

Celastrus paniculatus, Jyotismati fruiting 1.jpg
Celastrus paniculatus, Jyotismati fruiting 2.jpg
Celastrus paniculatus, Jyotismati fruiting 3.jpg
Celastrus paniculatus, Jyotismati fruiting 4.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 22, 2010, 11:44:44 PM6/22/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Prashant awale
Celastrus paniculatus commonly known as "Black Oil Plant", the plant is known to have immense medicinal value.
Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Satish Phadke

Jun 23, 2010, 12:23:03 PM6/23/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Good to see one more Celastraceae member. Hope you will send flowers when you observe it next time
Satish

Neil Soares

Jun 23, 2010, 1:31:25 PM6/23/10
to Prashant awale, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Hi,
 My Jyotismati [Celastrus paniculatis] shrubs were flowering in May this year and had climbed even to the top of a fruiting Garuga pinnata [Kakad] tree. Sending a few photographs.
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.

--- On Wed, 6/23/10, Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Celastrus paniculatus,Jyotismati flowering on top of a Kakkad tree.jpg
Jyotismati flowers 1.jpg
Jyotismati.jpg

Prashant awale

Jun 23, 2010, 1:43:04 PM6/23/10
to Neil Soares, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Nice photos Neil ji. Good to see both flowers and fruits in the same thread.
regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Jun 23, 2010, 11:17:07 PM6/23/10
to Prashant awale, Neil Soares, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks for sending the picture Neil Ji,
I am giving a new name to your estate
"Soares Biodiversity Center & Conservatory"

Tanay

formp...@yahoo.com

Jun 24, 2010, 12:49:29 AM6/24/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Prashant awale, Neil Soares, Satish Phadke