visit to Maharashtra Nature Park (MNP) on 4/1/09

shubhada nikharge

Jan 4, 2009, 8:29:28 AM1/4/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Wild Flower India
Pics are taken in Maharashtra nature Park, a botanical garden on a dumping ground at mahim, Mumbai, maharashtra on 4th Jan 09.

1) pic 0157 e:
Ashwagandha (local marathi name) :
Bot. name : Withnia somnifera
English name: Winter Cherry
Family Solanaceae
medicinal plant( roots have medicinal properties),  roots contain alkaloids called Vithanine.
Roots smell of urine of a horse, hence the local name 'Ashwagandha'.
flowers initially green- when mature turn red.

2) pic 0155 e:  ( pl confirm- pic in 'sahyadri' book does not match )
Akkalkadha (local marathi name)
Bot. name: Spilanthus paniculata
English name: pallatory root
Family : Asteraceae
medicinal plant (roots medicinal)
( Why the local name? uses of the plant r not related to memory or intelligence )

cheers,
shubhada

Check out the all-new face of Yahoo! India. Click here.

Akkalkadha Spilanthus paniculata flower 2009_0104_mnp_0155 e.JPG
Ashwagandha 2009_0104_mnp_0157 e.JPG

mridul tatkar

Jan 4, 2009, 8:54:48 AM1/4/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian...@googlegroups.com, Wild Flower India, mta...@yahoo.co.in
Hi,
I am Mridul Tatkar, a new member of this groupe, I am attaching a photograph of Karvi flower shoot at Kas, for this photograph I got third prize  incompetition held at Photographic society of India
Mridul.
final flower.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 4, 2009, 9:15:01 AM1/4/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian...@googlegroups.com, Wild Flower India
pic 0155 e: Spilanthes oleracea could be more appropriate, (para cress, toothache plant)
I too think it is incorrectly put in FFOS as S. paniculata

akkalkadha could be transcribed from अक्कलकाड or  अक्कलखाद ; not sure what or how each would be interpreted as.
... toothache and akkal (wisdom) have something in common ... i.e. wisdom tooth :)
and further thinking I leave it to you.

Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Jan 4, 2009, 9:28:58 AM1/4/09
to mridul tatkar, indian...@googlegroups.com, Wild Flower India, mta...@yahoo.co.in
Hi Mrudul.
congratulations! very nice pic.
shubhada

Jan 6, 2009, 11:02:52 PM1/6/09
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is another reply:
"Dear Shubhada,

Pic 0155 e is Spilanthes oleracea. (oleracea = edible; leaves used as green vegetable). Heads are characteristically 2-coloured. Hindi name: Pokarmul.

S. paniculata possesses white & conical flower-heads.

regards

Vijayasankar."

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now. Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1

J.M. Garg

Jan 6, 2009, 11:04:13 PM1/6/09
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, indian...@googlegroups.com

Lovely picture, Shubhada ji & Thanks Dinesh ji for ID.

Links for Spilanthes oleracea (Toothache plant, Eyeball Plant): http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/SpilanthesPeek.html (some details with a picture), http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/997/ (lots of pictures with Synonyms i.e. Spilanthes acmella), http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/akarkara.html (details & synonyms from Pankaj ji i.e. Spilanthes acmella syn. S. paniculata).

I think there is smoe confusion in Spilanthes species, see them sorted as per link (however, I could hardly make out anything): http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Spilanthes.html

Spilanthes acmella (syn. S. paniculata) Asteraceae Akarkara, Pellitary Near DVC canal, Bhadreshwar, Hooghly, West Bengal: 15/12/2007 & 17/10/07- Debasish. Spilanthes acmella PLANT FOR IDENTIFICATION -41 - indiantreepix | Google Groups PLANT FOR IDENTIFICATION - 12 - indiantreepix | Google Groups

2009/1/7 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Dinesh Valke

Jan 20, 2009, 11:59:39 AM1/20/09
to shubhada nikharge, indian...@googlegroups.com, Wild Flower India
Hello friends,
a particular line in my post to this thread:
"I too think it is incorrectly put in FFOS as S. paniculata" -- it was inadvertently put and is meaningless.
Please disregard it.

Regards.