Dwarf black plum tree

raghu ananth

Jul 11, 2009, 6:41:13 AM7/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Name: Dwarf black plum tree  / Indian blackberry
Local name: Kunta Nerale meaning dwarf plum
Hindi: Chota Jambul Ped` ?
Height: Less than a meter
Place: Kavalu katta, Unchalli Falls, Uttara Kannada
Habitat: Western ghats

Monsoon, Jun 2009

Regards

Raghu

Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8.
DSC_2621_KavaluKatta.jpg
DSC_2618_KavaluKatta.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 6, 2009, 11:02:52 AM8/6/09
to indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Does anybody tell its Bot. name?

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

DSC_2621_KavaluKatta.jpg
DSC_2618_KavaluKatta.jpg

Stephen A

Aug 6, 2009, 11:06:37 AM8/6/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Syzygium cumini (L.) Skeels. (Myrtaceae)

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

satish pardeshi

Aug 7, 2009, 1:54:14 AM8/7/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
Syzygium cumunii usually has big fruits abt 2-3 cm long. there are
many species in Syzygium. i think we need to do more reference for
Syzygium.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Aug 6, 8:06 pm, Stephen A <stephanos.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Syzygium cumini (L.) Skeels. (Myrtaceae)
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen...
>

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anybody tell its Bot. name?

Stephen A

Aug 7, 2009, 2:18:09 AM8/7/09
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
I do agree with you Satish ji,
Since the plant specimen originated from Western Ghats, I please to ask friends to consult the following link for Syzygium.
http://biotik.org/species_list_india.html
In this, there are 16 species of Syzygium with lots of good photos and description.
And my personal experience with this particular species is that there are lots & lots of varieties and ecotypes exist within the species Syzygium cumini.
They vary with the leaf size, fruit size, etc.
Based on my own research, there are three different seed size class exist within this particular species.

And about the fruit size I have seen with very small fruits if the plant is grown under arid/semi-arid condition.

Waiting for more comments,

Regards,

Stephen...

Parjanya guru

Aug 7, 2009, 6:31:20 AM8/7/09
to Stephen A, satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Well Dear All..
 I suspect the plant- Syzigium caryophyllatum,  which is known as Kuntu nerale  in Kannada...
Its a small tree , a bushy shub indeed, Fruits are edible, but not that much sweet as  S.cumini..Fruit is  much watery...
Nice snaps Raghujee..:)