Pongamia glabra

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 28, 2010, 4:55:57 PM8/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
a Pongam tree growing beside my house...
lovely mauve flowers appear in June-July.
and the leaves are so glossy.

Shantanu : )
100_0962.jpg
100_0966.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 28, 2010, 8:04:55 PM8/28/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Nice catch but missed the flower
I never knew you live in the Santoshpur area!!
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Kenneth Greby

Aug 28, 2010, 9:02:44 PM8/28/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Shantanu--

 The current accepted name is now Millettia pinnata.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MIPI9

 This tree is common in South Florida, USA, landscapes as well, though it is somewhat invasive here.

Regards--
Ken.

Aug 29, 2010, 3:55:32 AM8/29/10
to efloraofindia
Yes Tanay...i stay at Santoshpur-Survey Park beside Eastern
Metropolitan Bypass. There is much greenery in my area. Lots of trees
and shrubs.

Hi Mani ji,
thanks for the informations on the uses of the tree.

Hi Mr.Kenneth.
thanks for mentioning the new accepted name of the Pongam tree.

regards
Shantanu : )

On Aug 29, 7:58 am, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice tree.  In Mumbai planted as avenue tree.   The flowering will start in
> January.  The leaves are used in making garlands.   The leaves are also good
> green manure. The oil from the seeds are used in making sun screen lotion.
>
> Regards,
> Mani.
>

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Shantanu--
>
> >  The current accepted name is now Millettia pinnata.
>
> >http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MIPI9
>
> >  This tree is common in South Florida, USA, landscapes as well, though it
> > is somewhat invasive here.
>
> > Regards--
> > Ken.
>
> > ------------------------------

tanay bose

Aug 29, 2010, 2:43:02 PM8/29/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Hmm without the second photo where the PIN of the area was denoted I could have never knew it.
Tanay

Shantanu

Aug 29, 2010, 3:40:44 PM8/29/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Tanay

My God!...you came to know my address from the Pin code on the gate in
the image of Pongam tree?? (: 0 ......thats amazing.
I thought perhaps i had mentioned Santoshpur as the location of
photography in any tree pic.

You should be a detective : )

take care.