Request Id_19062011DS_SN5

Dalia Set

Jun 20, 2011, 2:36:47 PM6/20/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Friends

Found this tree flowering in Howrah, West Bengal  - March 2011.

When enquired, it was told as a AkashNeem tree in Bengali (Millingtonia hortensis)- but I have doubt as the flowers do not match.
Can it be persian lilac (Melia azedarach)? Flowers seem to match but again . not the leaves.

Please help with id.
Thanks
Dalia
AkashNeem_Flowering_1.jpg
AkashNeem_Flowering_2.jpg
AkashNeem_Flowering_3.jpg

Mayur Nandikar

Jun 21, 2011, 12:08:03 AM6/21/11
to Dalia Set, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes u r right this is Melia azedarach L. (Persian Lilac)
--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

H S

Jun 21, 2011, 2:12:42 AM6/21/11
to Mayur Nandikar, Dalia Set, indian...@googlegroups.com
leaves look different from M. azedarach

On 6/21/11, Mayur Nandikar <mayurn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes u r right this is *Melia azedarach *L. (*Persian Lilac*)

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

Pinki

Jun 21, 2011, 2:23:48 AM6/21/11
to efloraofindia
Melia azedarach no doubt. march is the high time for the flowering in
this tree whereas Millingtonia hortensis, if i am not wrong, will
flower somewhere in august September....

Alok
>  AkashNeem_Flowering_1.jpg
> 164KViewDownload
>
>  AkashNeem_Flowering_2.jpg
> 121KViewDownload
>
>  AkashNeem_Flowering_3.jpg
> 155KViewDownload

H S

Jun 21, 2011, 2:29:34 AM6/21/11
to Pinki, efloraofindia
Hello,
definately not Millingtonia hortensis (Indian Cork tree)

Ushadi micromini

Jun 21, 2011, 4:06:24 AM6/21/11
to efloraofindia, Dalia Set
Dear Dalia: this is persian lilac...leaves of which are classically
described as "odd pinnate" ,
so question is was it?

from your pics it seems to be... yes...

and certainly not Millingtonia hortensis... I forget when it flowers
in Bengal..
there is atleast one in the central park , salt lake... Ithink it was
july or august
a few years ago that I had seen it in flowers there, and in July/
august in Hyderabad...

...... Usha di.

Dalia Set

Jun 21, 2011, 1:13:01 PM6/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks every body for confirming the id as Persian Lila - Melia azedarach.

Dalia