grass ID (2) from Hooghly 3/8/12 SK2

surajit koley

Aug 3, 2012, 2:14:07 PM8/3/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

I found this grass beside a railway platform. I could only take a few snaps of this grass through the railings of the platform.

Species : Unknown
Habit & Habitat : small grass, not sure about its height, maybe about 1.5 feet
Date : 19/7/12, 9.41 A.M.
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

grass19jul12_BB_DSCN7396.jpg
grass19jul12_BB_DSCN7398.jpg
grass19jul12_BB_DSCN7401.jpg
grass19jul12_BB_DSCN7404.jpg

manoj chandran

Aug 4, 2012, 12:11:58 AM8/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hai !
This is Brachiaria setigera (Retz.)C.E.Hubb. You can see the arrangement of spikelets is almost on one side of the rachis. The rachis is ribbon like with a thick midrib, so the cross section of the rachis will be triangular (triquetrous rachis). You can see that some of the spikelets towards the base of the raceme are paired (one sessile and one pedicelled), whereas most of the spikelets towards the tip are solitary. On close observation, you can also see a few isolated setae/ long white hair on the rachis. The lower glume is less that quarter the length of the spikelet. The racemes are alternate on the main axis. The leaves are lanceolate with a rounded to subcordate base. All these leads to Brachiaria setigera, a common wasteland grass, usually in shady places and is a good fodder.
Regards...
Manoj Chandran

surajit koley

Aug 4, 2012, 11:27:55 AM8/4/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

I can see all the features you have explained here, except that i am not sure about lower glumes. I assume that those triangular shapes, with lighter shades, at the bases of spikelets (pic no. grass19jul12_BB_DSCN7401.jpg) are lower glumes.

And, as you have mentioned, i found this grass in a shady place, under a Arjuna and a Tamarind tree.

Regards,

surajit