ID request-030410-PKA3

Prashant awale

Apr 2, 2010, 2:11:14 AM4/2/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this tree on the sandy shore of Malgund near Ganapatipule. Locals were referring it as "Undin". I could get the snaps of the fruits only. Could this be "Calophyllum inophyllum"??  Kindly validate this ID..

Botanical name:

Calophyllum sp??

Family:

??

Date/Time-

29-03-2010 /10:50 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Between Malgund village & Jaigad Fort  near Ganapatipule- Ratnagiri

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild   (On sandy shore)

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Tree

Height/Length-

10 m high

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Opposite, 8 to 15 cm X 6 to 8 cm ,  elliptical, wavy margins,  petioles 8 to 10mm, surface smooth

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

 Fruit is round, green  around 3 to 4 cm dia. (Photograph enclosed).

regards
Prashant
IMG_6281.jpg
IMG_6283.jpg
IMG_6284.jpg

rashida atthar

Apr 2, 2010, 2:15:55 AM4/2/10
to pka...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes I think it is Calophyllum inophyllum also called Alexandrain laurel. Marathi name is  Undagi as per Trees of Mumbai book.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:41:14 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:31336] ID request-030410-PKA3
From: pka...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

All the post budget analysis and implications Sign up now.

Vijayadas D

Apr 2, 2010, 4:30:16 AM4/2/10
to rashida atthar, pka...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ya, I also,

 In malayalam it is known as,  Punna,  specially using the wood for making cage? for honey bee, and the fruits are we are selling and I think using for producing some chemicals  for varnish such like.

--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Prashant awale

Apr 2, 2010, 4:46:25 AM4/2/10
to Vijayadas D, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rashida ji and Vijayadas ji for validating the ID.
regards
Prashant

Kenneth Greby

Apr 2, 2010, 11:26:37 AM4/2/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Looks like Calophyllum inophyllum to me.

Regards--
Ken.