Is Lactuca sativa Asteraceae?

Pudji Widodo

Dec 16, 2022, 10:13:37 AM12/16/22
to efloraofindia
Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am very confused by the name Lactuca sativa. To me, L. sativa is very similar to cabbage, kale (Brassicaceae) etc. but on Wikipedia this plant belongs to Asteraceae. Could you explain to us please? Could you send us the photos of the plant with flowers? Thank you.

Best regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2022, 1:20:53 PM12/16/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Pudji Widodo ji,
Plant families are based on flowers and not leaves or other vegetative structures.If a plant has leaves like a cabbage but a flower like the sunflower it will be placed in the sunflower family.
With regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Dec 19, 2022, 4:47:14 AM12/19/22