Plant-for-ID200810

mani nair

Aug 20, 2010, 12:38:55 AM8/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,
Sending a photo of  the plant growing inside our house, commonly known as Money plant.
Kindly let me know its botanical name.

Location : Dombivli
Date      : June 2010
Time      : 10.00 a.m.

Regards,

Mani Nair
money.JPG

tanay bose

Aug 20, 2010, 1:02:38 AM8/20/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Epipremnum aureum I hope commonly known as "Money plant" from the family Araceae.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 20, 2010, 1:16:34 AM8/20/10
to tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Tanay
Money plant in only Indian homes, not any established book or database.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Aug 20, 2010, 1:27:49 AM8/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Epipremnum aureum

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Balkar Arya

Aug 20, 2010, 1:28:52 AM8/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com

Ninad Raut

Aug 20, 2010, 1:36:38 AM8/20/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All,

Is this also put under Pothos genus??

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Ninad Raut
SRF, WII (Dehra Dun)

Dinesh Valke

Aug 20, 2010, 1:43:51 AM8/20/10
to Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
... yes dear Ninad, have found following synonyms: Epipremnum aureum, Philodendron nechodomii, Pothos aureus, Scindapsus aureus, Scindapsus pinnatus ... while compiling notes on the money plant. Not sure of their vaildity.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 20, 2010, 1:45:13 AM8/20/10
to Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
... Epipremnum aureum is the current name ... got copy-pasted along with list of synonyms.
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Aug 20, 2010, 2:36:54 AM8/20/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Epipremnum aureus (Syn, in the trade especially, as Pothos scandens.)

Regards--
Ken.

Aug 20, 2010, 4:02:28 AM8/20/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Kenneth Greby, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pankaj ji for the info.   This plant is a stolen one !!    I cut the tip of a plant which was growing on the border of an office building.  I was looking right and left whether any body  watching me. !!  There is a saying that money plants when stolen does grow very fast and the man who stole gets lots of money.   I think for some extent it is true and my name is also matching with it.  It is also one of my favorite house plant.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 20, 2010, 4:06:34 AM8/20/10
to mani nair, Kenneth Greby, indian...@googlegroups.com
yeah, they say that money plant grows well if it is stolen from some
one else's garden...this was not a joke.....many told me this story.
Pankaj

mani nair

Aug 20, 2010, 4:07:06 AM8/20/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Kenneth Greby, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Singh ji, Tanay ji, Balkar ji, Ninad ji, Dinesh ji and Mr. Kenneth for the Plant ID.

Regards,

Mani.