Tamil names of Neolitsea cassia (L.) Kosterm.

Dinesh Valke

Nov 17, 2023, 8:08:39 AM11/17/23
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Vijayasankar ji,

Please help in validating the English transcribed names of Neolitsea cassia (L.) Kosterm.
மொலகா செம்பக பாளை molakaa cempaka paalai, படபடா patapataa
Reference: Tamil names of Botanical names by Yercaud Ilango

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Nov 17, 2023, 8:28:55 AM11/17/23
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Vijayasankar ji,
I found one transcribed name - moolaga shembaga palai in one of the XLS document - Plants of Tamil Nadu database (ENVIS), that you had given me the link to..

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijay Raman

Nov 18, 2023, 7:12:15 PM11/18/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh ji,

The words moolaga and molakaa perhaps refer to molagaa (மொளகா (not மொலகா), a modified version of Milagaai மிளகாய் for chilli). So, I suggest the spelling molagaa cembaga paalai  மொளகா செம்பக பாலை. The other name patapataa படபடா looks okay.

Best,

Vijayasankar

Dinesh Valke

Nov 19, 2023, 1:36:12 AM11/19/23
to Vijay Raman, efloraofindia
Thank you very much, Vijayasankar ji, for suggesting the most appropriate Tamil and English spellings of the name.
I have incorporated the changes in my notes.
Regards.
Dinesh