Anogeissus acuminata in Chennai.

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 9, 2011, 2:47:26 PM4/9/11
to indiantreepix
The tall tree with its graceful pendulous branches stands in the maternity hospital where I worked for about 6 years ages ago.
Today, for the first time I have noted that the branches are laden with fruit.
 Please validate the id.
Thanks and regards,
Padmini Raghavan.
Anogeissus acuminata 001.jpg
Anogeissus acuminata 002.jpg
Anogeissus acuminata 003.jpg
Anogeissus acuminata 004.jpg

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 9, 2011, 2:49:42 PM4/9/11
to indiantreepix
I forgot to add the last pic. Here it is.
Anogeissus acuminata 007.jpg

rajank

Apr 10, 2011, 8:51:07 AM4/10/11
to efloraofindia
looking at the pendulous branches of tree ,it is A. acuminata.

Other variety i.e. A. latifolia is observed in SGNP, Borivli N. park

with straight growing trunk & patches on trunk.

thanks for sharing.

rajank
>  Anogeissus acuminata 001.jpg
> 234KViewDownload
>
>  Anogeissus acuminata 002.jpg
> 232KViewDownload
>
>  Anogeissus acuminata 003.jpg
> 229KViewDownload
>
>  Anogeissus acuminata 004.jpg
> 234KViewDownload

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 10, 2011, 2:39:25 PM4/10/11
to rajank, efloraofindia
I have just read up the mail on the database and realise that what I had thought were seeds are actually just the flowers as the seeds are supposed to be round and one cm in size.
 Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.

Satish Phadke

Apr 11, 2011, 3:18:04 AM4/11/11
to Padmini Raghavan, rajank, efloraofindia
I think what is seen from your pictures are dried fruits with seeds enclosed in it. The flowers clearly show the stamens and anthers which I couldn't find from your pictures.
Dr Satish Phadke