[efloraofindia:32591] Peganum harmala from Sri Karan Pur, Rajasthan

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2010, 12:14:55 PM4/18/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Peganum harmala L. of Zygophyllaceae, growing along roadside between Sri Ganga Nagar and Sri Karan Pur in Rajasthan, photographed on 17-4-2010. The only plant was able to click on my trip to Karan Pur. The plant important medicinally seen earlier by me in Hari Parbat area of Srinagar, Kashmir some 35 years back.

English: Harmal, Syrian rue, Foreign henna, Wild rue; Hindi: Harmal, isband lahouri, lahouri harmal; Beng & Kashmir: Isband; Mar: Harmala; Guj: Harmal, ispun; Tel & Kan: simagoranta; Tam: Simaiyaravandi, simayaiyalavinai

Seeds constitute drug harmal; infusion of seeds produce mild intoxication like Cannabis sativa. Seeds also yield a red dye and a fatty oil called zit-el-harmel. Decoction of leaves given in rheumatism

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Peganum-harmala-Karan-pur-Raj-.jpg
Peganum-harmala-Karan-pur-Raj-2.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 18, 2010, 2:31:33 PM4/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Dear Gurcharan ji,
This plant is completely new to me thanks for sharing the photo now i know the name of another new plant !!!
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

Apr 18, 2010, 2:37:24 PM4/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Some information about this plant is present in this link http://peganumharmala.org/ ... Sir  from the internet I have seen that this plant belongs to the family Nitrariaceae is the information right or wrong?
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2010, 11:21:43 PM4/18/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Yes Tanay, some people shift it to a distinct family Nitrariaceae. These days with the introduction APG Group and the search for monophyletic group and discarding of paraphyletic groups, many name changes at family and generic level are coming. By the way do you know that Drosophila melanogaster may in future be called as Sophophora melanogaster.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 12:40:34 AM4/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thank you Sir for clearing out my doubt,, But the didn't knew about the change of name in D melanogaster!! You gave a updation Sir ji.
Tanay