[efloraofindia:34508] Terminalia arjuna

Neil Soares

May 10, 2010, 1:26:11 PM5/10/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Prof. Singh,

   As promised.

 Had planted 2 saplings of Terminalia arjuna [Arjun] in 1997 on my property at Shahapur – one on the banks of the stream and the other on flat land.  Neither was watered but were left to the elements. As seen from the photographs there is a marked disparity in growth patterns.

   Sending a few photographs. Unfortunately don’t have any photographs of the fruit.

                                Regards,

                                  Neil.

Terminalia arjuna 1.jpg
Terminalia arjuna 1 leaves.jpg
Leaf glands.jpg
Terminalia arjuna 1 bark 1.jpg
Terminalia arjuna 1 bark 2.jpg
Terminalia arjuna 2.jpg
Terminalia arjuna 2 leaves.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 10, 2010, 1:50:47 PM5/10/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neil ji
The bark is distinctive. Some how the T. arjuna trees in Delhi have bark with orange tinge.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 12:18:31 AM5/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gurcharan Ji,
I have closely seen Terminalia arjuna bark and it's indeed orange brown in colour. My father regularly takes it, the bark is boiled in water and then he take the water as a luke warm drink every morning in empty stomach it is a great tonic. I am attaching photographs of the bark kindly consider it.
Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2010, 12:38:47 AM5/11/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
thanks Tanay for instant clarification

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 12:42:41 AM5/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Sir ji
Tanay

R. Vijayasankar

May 11, 2010, 1:10:24 AM5/11/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good Tanay, you have taken pictures of the bark piece in different views/angles, like a model (car) !!!
We got the idea of its thickness, exudation, texture...Thanx to your father also.
The bark is a cordinal tonic.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 1:16:44 AM5/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ha Ha The complete 3D view was necessary for the clarification hence I just tried it, I happy to know you liked it . Yup my father is having this since his childhood.
Tanay

Satish Chile

May 11, 2010, 6:36:29 AM5/11/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
A syrup "Arjuna rista" is prepared from the bark of this tree.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 8:46:00 AM5/11/10
to Satish Chile, R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information Satish ji
tanay

Yazdy Palia

May 11, 2010, 8:56:39 AM5/11/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tanay,
How much bark and how much water? what is it used for?
Regards
Yazdy.

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 9:09:44 AM5/11/10
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Yazdy Ji,
You have to use a bark peice, size as seen in my photo add about 2 cups of water and boil it until the water reduces to half (i.e 1 cup) at this point it will just look like black tea. You will have to have this every moring empty stomach in a luke warm condition, remember everyday!! Never take anyother breverage drink (tea or coffee) or food alteast for next 1 hour after having this. As my dad says it help to elevate the immune system of the body and also has extremely high medicinal properties better than all those branded tonics found in market for which we pay a lots of money. Touch wood but I will like to say that I have never seen my had sick , he is more healthy and energetic than me at this ripe age of 56.
Regards
Tanay

Dinesh Valke

May 11, 2010, 9:52:43 AM5/11/10
to tanay bose, Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tanay, please mention approximate dimensions of the bark ... difficult to gauge from the photo.
My guess: dimensions of a regular matchbox ?

Regards.

tanay bose

May 11, 2010, 11:46:31 AM5/11/10
to Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com

 Dear Dinesh ji,
the size is about 5cmX3cm (approx)
Regards
Tanay

Muthu Karthick

May 13, 2010, 8:58:32 AM5/13/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Terminalia cuneata is the accepted recent nomenclature for the tree.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Gurcharan Singh

May 13, 2010, 9:11:41 AM5/13/10
to Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Muthu ji
Can you send the full citation aqnd synonymy for both T. cuneata and T. elliptica, and the authority who follows this nomenclature. It will be helpful in updating our records.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Muthu Karthick

May 13, 2010, 9:25:55 AM5/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Yazdy Palia, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir,
Terminalia cuneata Roxb. could be the recent name. [Tamil name: Vellai marudu] local name here refers the the 'white bark'

Terminalia elliptica Willd. is different one sir, [Tamil name: Karu marudu] local name here refers the the 'black bark'

Both are recent nomenclatures.
Kindly refer Flora of Tamil Nadu, VOL. I, 1983 and  Matthew, 1983