[efloraofindia:34394] Cordia wallachii

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 9, 2010, 10:27:27 AM5/9/10
to indiatreepix
Cordia wallachii a rare tree species in Jamwa Ramgarh Sanctury,Jaipur,Rajasthan.Flowring in night time.
Regard
Devendra

Cordia wallachii.JPG

tanay bose

May 9, 2010, 10:34:28 AM5/9/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiatreepix

Cordia obliqua Willd.

Synonymy: Cordia wallichii G. Don. Cordia myxa Linn. Cordio latifolia Roxb.

Family: Moraginaceae

English name: Large sebesten

Indian names: chinna-nakeru, kichavirigi, nekkera (Andhra Pradesh); bahubara, bohari, bohodari, buhal (Bengal); bargund, gadgundi, nanugundi, pisten, sepisten (Gujrat); lassura (Himachal Pradesh); lasora, chhota, lasora (Hindi); chikkachalle, challe, dodda, challe (Karnataka); viri, cheruviri (Kerala); shelwant, burgund dubiwur, motabhokhar (Maharashtra); lassora, (Punjab); geduri, giduri (Sind); bahuvaraka. bahuwara, bhutvriksha, gandhapushpa (Sanskrit); naruvili, ali, namviri (Tamil Nadu)

Cordia obliqua Willd. is a medium-sized tree, found scattered throughout the mid-Himalyas up to elevations of 1,470 metres. The tree is very vigorous.

There are two forms of Cordia obliqua Willd., occurring in Himachal Pradesh. The major difference between these two is the size of the fruits, which is small in one case and large in the other. The present observations were recorded only on the small-fruited type which is commoner.

Morphology

A medium-sized deciduous tree, 10.5 metres high; the girth of the trunk of a full-bearing tree being 75.5 cm; wood, light brown, moderately bard; branches, glabrous.

Leaves, alternate, entire to slightly dentate, 10.1 cm long, 5.7 cm broad; venation, reticulate-pinnate; young leaves, tomentose from beneath; mature leaves, almost glabrous. and ovate.

Flowers, very short-stalked, bisexual, actinomorphic, glabrous, complete, white, the average diameter of a fully open flower, 6 mm; inflorescence, terminal or an axillary cyme, almost resembling a biparous cyme; flowers per cluster, 14; calyx, cup-shaped, gamosepalous, about 4 mm in length, slightly dentate from top and light green; corolla, creamish white, polypetalous, with 4 petals, 6 mm in length; stamens, 2 in number, epipetalous, each having a very small filament; gynoecium, bifurcated, 4 mm, long, having a globose ovary at the base.

Fruit, a drupe, 1.75 cm in diameter, 2.92 g in weight, 2.88 ml in volume, colour, light yellow to slightly greenish, with a light-red tinge at the time of full maturity; epicarp, thick; mesocarp, mucilaginous; endocarp, hard and stony.

Stone, 8.5 mm in length, 7 mm in width, 375 mg in weight, 298 microlitres in volume, each stone containing two seeds, which are separated from each other by a stony septum seeds mildly sweet.

The flowering and fruiting season

The flowering starts during the last week of April and continues till the end of May under Dharampur (Himachal

Pradesh) conditions. The fruiting season lasts from the beginning of July to the end of August.

Yield

The average yield of a tree of Cordia obliqua Willd. is 52.5 kg.

Chemical composition of the fruit

The fruit contains moisture, 75 g; acidity, 0.2 g; total sugars, 3.55 g; reducing sugars, 3.41 g; non-reducing sugars, 0.08 g, and pectin, 4.5 g; all per 100 g of the edible portion. The total soluble solids of the fruit pulp constitute 10.2 per cent.

The fresh fruit contains, protein 2.06 g; ash, 2.132 g; phosphorus, 0.091 g; potassium, 1.066 g; calcium, 0.062 g; magnesium, 0.067 g; and iron 0.005 g per 100 g of the edible portion.

Medicinal properties

The fruits of Cordia obliqua Willd. can be used as an expectorant and are effective in treating the diseases of the lungs. In the raw condition, they contain a gum which can be used beneficially in gonorrhoea (Watt, 1889).

The fruits are also useful in treating coughs, the diseases of the chest, and chronic fever. They lessen thirst, and the scalding of the urine, remove pain from the joints and the burning of the throat and are also effective in treating the diseases of the spleen (Kirtikar and Basu, 1938). Uphof (1968) has stated that the fruits are used as a demulcent in southern Iran.

Dessert quality

The mature fruits are highly mucilaginous, and sweet to alkaline They are not very good for eating in the fresh condition.

Utilization

The raw fruits are used as a vegetable. A very good pickle of raw fruits is also made. The mucilaginous substance of the fruit can be used as a gum for pasting sheets of paper, cardboard , etc.

Serious losses are caused to Cordia obliqua Willd. in Himachal Pradesh and other parts of India by the maggots of fruitflies, found to be feeding inside the fruits. Along with them, the grubs of beetles are also found feeding on the pulp and the kernels. In the case of a severe attack. the loss due to these insect pests is 100 per cent. Suitable measures should be evolved to control these insect pests.

 Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 9, 2010, 10:37:15 AM5/9/10
to tanay bose, indiatreepix
Tanayji,
     In rajasthan condition  fruiting not possible.But it is in wild.
Regard
Devendra

May 9, 2010, 10:42:26 AM5/9/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiatreepix
Thanks for the updation
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

May 9, 2010, 10:55:01 AM5/9/10
to tanay bose, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiatreepix
Tanay
C. myxa L., 1753 can't be a synonym of C. obliqua Willd., 1798; it can be otherwise (eflora Pakistan) or two as distinct species (GRIN).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 9, 2010, 10:58:38 AM5/9/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiatreepix
What can be the solution Sirji
Tanay

Tabish

May 9, 2010, 1:08:11 PM5/9/10
to efloraofindia
Currently accepted name is Cordia obliqua Willd. var. wallichii
( G.Don ) C.B.Clarke
Cordia wallichii G.Don Gen. Hist. 4(2): 379. 1838 [Mar-Apr 1838] is
the base name.

Probably the source of confusion is that
Cordia obliqua B.Heyne ex DC. Prodr. (DC.) 9: 479. 1845 [Jan
1845] is an invalid synonym of
C. wallichii G. Don (1838).
- Tabish

On May 9, 7:55 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tanay
> C. myxa L., 1753 can't be a synonym of C. obliqua Willd., 1798; it can be
> otherwise (eflora Pakistan) or two as distinct species (GRIN).
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the updation
> > Tanay
>
> > On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Devendra Bhardwaj <
> > devendra_bhard...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>  Tanayji,
> >>      In rajasthan condition  fruiting not possible.But it is in wild.
> >> Regard
> >> Devendra
>
> >>  ------------------------------

Tabish

May 9, 2010, 1:22:49 PM5/9/10
to efloraofindia
PS : Cordia myxa Thwaites (not Cordia myxa L.) is a synonym of Cordia
obliqua Willd
- Tabish

tanay bose

May 9, 2010, 8:02:04 PM5/9/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish Ji
Tanay

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 9, 2010, 9:08:31 PM5/9/10
to tanay bose, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks for comments.
Regard
Devendra

May 9, 2010, 9:31:58 PM5/9/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, tanay bose, Tabish, efloraofindia
Tabish ji should be right. With C. myxa L. out of picture being restricted to cultivation in Asia minor and Egypt, C. obliqua Willd. var. wallichii should be the correct name at that level.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

shrikant ingalhalikar

May 9, 2010, 10:10:30 PM5/9/10
to efloraofindia
The calyx in this plant is ribbed, I hence feel that this is C.
macleodii (Griff.) Hook. f. The under surface of leaves also has to be
'stellately' tomentose if this is to be C. wallichii. Regards,
Shrikant

On May 9, 7:27 pm, Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra_bhard...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>  Cordia wallachii.JPG
> 139KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 9, 2010, 10:53:57 PM5/9/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
From whatever little information I could gather the leaves are almost rounded at base and glabrous in C. obliqua, glabrous on upper surface but tomentose beneath in var. wallichii. In C. macleodii in addition to ribbed calyx, leaves somewhat cordate at base and tomentose on surface with prominent veins, especially tertiary ones. On that count Vijayasankar ji may be right for this to be C. macleodii. Perhaps these should supplement:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

R. Vijayasankar

May 9, 2010, 11:29:37 PM5/9/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks Shrikant ji for the identification. Thanks Gurcharan ji, Tabish ji & Tanay for the efforts and validation.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar