Winged stem?

Swagat

Jan 4, 2010, 12:36:16 AM1/4/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Is it 'Winged stem'?

What is the reason behind it?

Is it happens in all climbers or it happens only in some species?

This climber photographed at Mumbai University, Vidyanagari, Kalina, Mumbai.

Date- 03rd January 2010.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

030110-Kalina-Swagat2.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Jan 4, 2010, 1:40:57 AM1/4/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
Dear Swagat ji,
I think this is common to all climbers. I can speak from experience of
black pepper. The climbers have off shoot branches that normally bear
the fruits. The fruit bearing shoots do not climb. They protrude to
the sides and develop dome branches which normally bear. In the case
of black pepper sometimes people grow these branches in pots and call
it bush pepper. One can easily have these potted bushes in the balcony
of any apartment. The shoots that normally climb do not bear.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Aparna Watve

Jan 4, 2010, 3:20:53 AM1/4/10
to Yazdy Palia, Swagat, indiantreepix
It is a Winged stem. The reasons will probably differ with the
species- and I dont know about this one. -is this some Dioscorea?
aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

R. Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2010, 4:01:49 AM1/4/10
to Aparna Watve, Yazdy Palia, Swagat, indiantreepix
This is Operculina turpethum (Convolvulaceae). I think, having wing in stems and petioles is perhaps to increase the surface area to maximize photosynthesis.
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Swagat

Jan 4, 2010, 4:24:15 AM1/4/10
to Aparna Watve, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yes, it is 'Operculina turpethum'

Thanks...

~Swagat
9223217568