Thunbergia grandiflora from Delhi

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2009, 8:36:30 PM9/30/09
to indiantreepix, Flowers of India
Dear Members
Today while on photography session in my neighbourhood in Sunnyvale, California I seem to have made an important discovery.

I had collected and photographed a climber in Delhi University, which without any difficulty I identified at Thunbergia grandiflora. The problem arose when I found a similar looking climber in our campus, with slightly longer corolla tube and look. Not being able to place in any species reported from Delhi, I left it as T. grandiflora only.

Today I found similar plant growing here, and my first curiosity was to identify it and then find out which of my specimens it resembles. It is then that I went to website of Plants of Hawaii and discovered that two closely related species, both from India  China region grow in Hawaii: T. grandiflora (with ovate-hastate leaves nearly as broad as long, leaves cordate at base, corolla tube 5-7.5 cm long, one lobe longer than others) and T. laurifolia ( leaves  ovate-oblong or sublanceolate, half to two third as broad as long, base rounded to subcordate, corolla tube 3.5-4.5 cm long). Flower colour in both varies from blue to white.

 I turned out that one of my campus plants is T. grandiflora (Trumpet vine, Bengal clock vine, Bengal trumpet vine, Bengal trumpet, skyflower vine, blue skyflower, blue trumpet vine) and another T. laurifolia Lindl. (Blue trumpet vine, purple allamanda, laurel-leaved thunbergia, laurel clock vine).

I am uploading the two separately, in keeping with the policy of this group.

I also have the feeling that on Flowers of India Website the first photograph belongs alright to T. grandiflora, but the second (obviously photograph of different plant than first) may belong to T. laurifolia.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College