Lagerstroemia species

Dinesh Valke

Jun 1, 2009, 10:42:50 AM6/1/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

Lagerstroemia microcarpa and L. parviflora confuse me.

In Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, the Lagerstroemia trees are called bondara (Marathi: बोंडारा) while similar trees at Karnala are known as nana (Marathi: नाना)

At Tungar hills, the local guide has not heard of of the name nana at all; while at Karnala, the local seemed to have heard of bondara ... he said the basic difference is in the leaves (leaflets), he was referring to size, but was not sure enough to elaborate.

I surfed sites with the intention of getting to know their distribution, vaguely I am assuming that:

Visual differences in terms of understanding to a layman will be of great help.

Regards.

Swagat

Jun 1, 2009, 11:52:02 AM6/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dineshji,

'Lagerstroemia microcarpa' , 'Lagerstroemia parviflora' and 'Lagerstroemia lanceolata' are the same trees known as 'Nana' 'नाना' in Marathi.

Actually 'Bondara' 'बोंडारा' is the another local name for 'Tamhan' 'ताम्‍हण' 'Lagerstroemia flos reginae' .

I think... you have photographed 'Nana' 'नाना' only at both the places (Tungareshwar & Karnala).

Some of the tribes- boiled the leaves of 'Nana' and flilterd water, about 3 teaspoons twice a day is given for feaver.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Dinesh Valke

Jun 1, 2009, 12:49:10 PM6/1/09
to Swagat, Indian Tree Pix

drneil...@yahoo.com

Jun 1, 2009, 1:05:51 PM6/1/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
   The way I see it:
1.Lagerstroemia flos-regina / L.regina / L.speciosa called the 'Queen's Flower' is locally called Taman / Jarul / [Motha Bhondara].
2.Lagerstroemia parviflora is locally called Bhondara / Seena.
3.Lagerstroemia lanceolata / L.microcarpa called 'Stripping Lady' is locally called Nana.
      Have all these trees at my farm at Shahapur. Have previously posted photographs of these on this site or on wildflowersofindia in my discussions with Pat and Bindu. Could possibly send them again S.O.S.
                        Regards,
                          Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 1, 2009, 1:24:55 PM6/1/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
.... many thanks, Neil ji for the clarity.
Except that I was thinking the other way round about the names:
L. microcarpa: bondara
L. parviflora: nana

... this is as per my experience with locals having told me the names,
and entries at Molesworth's Marathi - English dictionary at http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/romadict.pl?query=Lagerstr&display=utf8&table=molesworth

कुंबया (p. 172) [ kumbayā ] m A tree, Lagerstroemia lanceolata. Grah.

बोंडग or गी (p. 593) [ bōṇḍaga or gī ] f बोंडगा m A tree, Lagerstroëmia lanceolata. Grah.

नाना (p. 454) [ nānā ] m A tree, Lagerstroemia parviflora. Grah.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 1, 2009, 11:10:17 PM6/1/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
... names of Lagerstroemias at the The Gazetteers Departments of Satara and Jalgaon are exactly as Neil ji has put.
And I would at present, go by mass-understanding rather than the dictionary. Many thanks Neil ji.

Waiting for comments regarding: How does a layman differentiate between the two species (. microcarpa and . parviflora).

Swagat

Jun 2, 2009, 2:32:15 AM6/2/09
to Dinesh Valke, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification Dinesji & Dr. Neilji.

Now I found following details...

Lagerstroemia lanceolata Wall. ex Wt. and Arn. -  'Naaram' 'नारम',  'Bondara' 'बोंडारा'

Lagerstroemia parviflora Roxb. - 'Lendi Nano' 'लेंडी नानो'

Lagerstroemia speciosa (L.) Pers (=L. flos-reginae Retz; L. reginae Roxb.) -  'Taman' 'तामन'

on page no. 357 of 'Maharashtra State Gazatteers, Maharashtratil Vanaspatishastra aani Vansampada' 'महाराष्‍ट्र राज्‍य गॅझेटिअर, महाराष्‍ट्रातील वनस्‍पतीशास्‍त्र आणि वनसंपदा'

It seem lot of work to do to Standerdise Local names and Scientific names.

As Dineshji said, question remains... How does a layman differentiate between the two species (. microcarpa and . parviflora).

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Swagat

Jun 2, 2009, 2:52:08 AM6/2/09
to Dinesh Valke, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Dineshji,

following details found at... http://www.maharashtra.gov.in/english/gazetteer/JALGAON/phy_forests.html (link given by you)

Bondara— Lagersiroemia parviflora is a middle.sized tree with ash coloured bark like teak but not so smooth. Inner bark is light red. The wood is grey, elastic, hard, compact and highly valued for poles for house construction and agricultural implements. It gives good fuel and charcoal. The bark is occasionally used for tanning leather.

Nana— Lagerstroemia microcarpa is a large tree with smooth white bark, peeling off in large strips. Inner bark is white and fibrous. The wood is reddish, moderately hard and elastic. It is Used for building purposes or coffin cases and boxes.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

2009/6/2 Swagat <swaga...@gmail.com>

[...]

Alka Vaidya

Jun 2, 2009, 6:15:32 AM6/2/09
to Swagat, Dinesh Valke, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi
  I support Neil's clarification.
Alka Vaidya

Dinesh Valke

Jun 2, 2009, 9:15:24 AM6/2/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Swagat, drneil...@yahoo.com, rapa...@gmail.com, Alka Vaidya
... many many thanks to all of you: Neil ji, Mani ji, Swagat ji and Alka ji.

Looks like the best visual difference that I learnt lies in the trunk of the trees:
. microcarpa: grows to become large tree with buttressed roots ... the trunk is smooth and shining (off-)white, its bark often seen peeling in large, long strips, a sight similar to that of Eucalyptus species.
. parviflora: relatively a moderate-sized tree ... the trunk does not show bark peeling off in "strips", however does show ¿ small flakes / chips ? falling off.

I have attached photos, please correct me if I have misidentified.

Regards.
L_microcarpa_I.jpg
L_microcarpa_II.jpg
is_this_L_parviflora.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 3, 2009, 4:17:33 AM6/3/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Neil Soares
Neil ji (and all friends), can we get to see one (or two) photos of L. parviflora ?

Neil Soares

Jun 3, 2009, 7:03:13 AM6/3/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Dinesh Valke
Hi Dinesh,
  Sending you a few photographs.
               Regards,
                 Neil.

--- On Wed, 6/3/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Lagerstroemia parviflora,Bhondara,Seena.jpg
Lagerstroemia parviflora[Bhondara,Seena] flowers.jpg
Fruit of Lagerstroemia parviflora [Bhondara] 1.jpg
Fruit of Lagerstroemia parviflora [Bhondara] 2.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 3, 2009, 9:31:44 AM6/3/09
to Neil Soares, Indian Tree Pix
... many many thanks for showing L. parviflora, Neil ji.
It helped me sort some of my Lagerstroemias, and I think what I have attached here is, few views of L. parviflora that I found at Mahuli (earlier believing them to be L. microcarpa).
Please validate.

(Among the attached photos, one of them belongs to L. microcarpa ... I feel there is a difference in panicles ... . microcarpa has branched panicles while . parviflora panicles are not branched).

Regards.
L_parviflora_I.jpg
L_parviflora_II.jpg
unbranched_panicle_L_parviflora.jpg
branched_panicle_L_microcarpa.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 3, 2009, 9:53:32 AM6/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dinesh Valke

Jun 3, 2009, 10:58:31 AM6/3/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pankaj ji, thank you very much for the whole lot of photos.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 4, 2009, 1:18:21 PM6/4/09
to Indian Tree Pix
... I am forwarding this particular mail found in the thread posted at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/c030aeb6a2b685a5?hl=en
Though the description about panicles holds truth, all photos attached in the mail belong to L. microcarpa.

Regards.