Tree ID request (110509SS1-3), Haryana

Sadhna Sharma

May 11, 2009, 11:55:56 AM5/11/09
to indiantreepix
While attending a marriage function in a banquet hall, while others were eyeing the 'food stalls',
I was eyeing this tree with round fruits. Hope they are natural.

Can someone please ID this tree?

Regards,
Sadhna Sharma
Picture-003.jpg
Picture-005.jpg
Picture-001.jpg

Tabish

May 11, 2009, 12:21:49 PM5/11/09
to indiantreepix
Dinesh tipped me off! This should be Cheekoo (Manilkara zapota)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapota
Cheers!
- Tabish
>  Picture-003.jpg
> 103KViewDownload
>
>  Picture-005.jpg
> 209KViewDownload
>
>  Picture-001.jpg
> 236KViewDownload

Barry Stock

May 11, 2009, 2:28:58 PM5/11/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Could be. Chicle (chee-clay) tends to be a bit more densely foliated,
but environmental conditions might affect this. Another defining
characteristic is that new foliage growing gives the tree an
interesting aroma, identical to Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana).

Another defining characteristic is that squirrels get the vast
majority of the fruit, biting it before it is ripe. Ripe fruit is
delicious, and unique.

-bs

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

May 11, 2009, 9:28:21 PM5/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for all the information on this fruit tree which is found in
abundance and is a favourit in Bengal.

Purnima

Madhuri Pejaver

May 12, 2009, 4:35:02 AM5/12/09
to indiantreepix, Sadhna Sharma

isnt it SApota sps?
madhuri

> function in a banquet hall, while others were eyeing the
> 'food stalls',
> I was eyeing this tree with round fruits. Hope they
> are natural.
>
> Can someone please ID this tree?
>
> Regards,
> Sadhna Sharma

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com

satish phadke

May 12, 2009, 11:27:27 AM5/12/09
to Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Sadhna Sharma
Diospyros peregrina comes to mind on looking at the fruits.
Satish

2009/5/12 Madhuri Pejaver <formp...@yahoo.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2009, 12:21:05 PM5/12/09
to satish phadke, Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Sadhna Sharma
 ... Diospyros peregrina fruit would turn *** to yellow to vermillion ... please correct me ... Regards.