Aconitum heterophyllum from Gulmarg, Kashmir

Skip to the first unread message

Gurcharan Singh

01-Sep-2011, 10:43:36 pm01/09/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
 Aconitum heterophyllum Wall.ex Royle, Illustr. Bot. Himal. Mount. 56.t.13. 1833

Common names: Atis root, Stivisha (Sans.), Atis (Hindi)

Tuberous herb up to 90 cm tall, simple or branched from base; lower leaves petiolate, rounded to oval, cordate at base, shallowly lobed or toothed, upper stem-clasping, sharply toothed; flowers 3-4 cm long, in loose raceme or subpaniculate, sepals dull green-purple or dull green-blue, with dark purple veins, upper one pointed in front with rounded top, lateral as long; petals (nectaries) two with about 16-18 mm long claw and 4 mm long hood; follicles 5, 15-20 mm long, slightly downy or glabrous.

Tuberous roots yield alkaloids atisine, heteratisne, atidine, hetidine, etc., roots used for hysteria, throat infections, dyspepsia and vomiting, abdominal pain and diabetes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Aconitum-heterophyllum-Gulmarg forest-Kashmir-1.jpg
Aconitum-heterophyllum-Gulmarg forest-Kashmir-2.jpg
Aconitum-heterophyllum-Gulmarg forest-Kashmir-3.jpg
Aconitum-heterophyllum-Gulmarg forest-Kashmir-4.jpg
Aconitum-heterophyllum-Gulmarg forest-Kashmir-5.jpg

Tanay Bose

02-Sep-2011, 12:02:04 am02/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Just Fab Sir ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

02-Sep-2011, 5:26:30 am02/09/11
to efloraofindia
very nice details,
is it same as ATIVISHA? with an A?

aconitum of garden variety gets blue flowers...

Ushadi
=========

On Sep 2, 9:02 am, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just Fab Sir ji
> Tanay
>

> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  *Aconitum heterophyllum* Wall.ex Royle, Illustr. Bot. Himal. Mount.
> > 56.t.13. 1833
>
> > Common names: Atis root, Stivisha (Sans.), Atis (Hindi)
>
> > Tuberous herb up to 90 cm tall, simple or branched from base; lower leaves
> > petiolate, rounded to oval, cordate at base, shallowly lobed or toothed,
> > upper stem-clasping, sharply toothed; flowers 3-4 cm long, in loose raceme
> > or subpaniculate, sepals dull green-purple or dull green-blue, with dark
> > purple veins, upper one pointed in front with rounded top, lateral as long;
> > petals (nectaries) two with about 16-18 mm long claw and 4 mm long hood;
> > follicles 5, 15-20 mm long, slightly downy or glabrous.
>
> > Tuberous roots yield alkaloids atisine, heteratisne, atidine, hetidine,
> > etc., roots used for hysteria, throat infections, dyspepsia and vomiting,
> > abdominal pain and diabetes.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Gurcharan Singh

02-Sep-2011, 6:31:52 am02/09/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha di
It is Ativisha only not Stivisha, my typing error.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

02-Sep-2011, 11:11:32 am02/09/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Great Close Up Sir happy to see
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh