Tree for id. 011209MK1

Muthu Karthick

Dec 1, 2009, 3:32:54 AM12/1/09
to indiantreepix
Kindly help to identify this tree found in Satyamangalam on 15 Nov 2008.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Muthu Karthick

Dec 1, 2009, 3:36:31 AM12/1/09
to indiantreepix
Solanaceae.JPG

Vijayasankar Raman

Dec 1, 2009, 4:55:45 AM12/1/09
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Hi, nice picture of Schrebera swietenioides (Oleaceae). The fruits of this Red Listed plant are medicinal and traded in the name of 'Ganti phal' (the dehisced fruit looks like a bell). Thanks for sharing.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Muthu Karthick

Dec 1, 2009, 4:56:52 AM12/1/09
to Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Many thanks sir.

Neil Soares

Dec 1, 2009, 5:57:18 AM12/1/09
to Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Have this tree at Shahapur. The local name is Motha. Sending a few photographs.
                  With regards,
                    Neil Soares.

--- On Tue, 12/1/09, Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 1.jpg
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 2.jpg
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 3.jpg

Nayan Singh

Dec 1, 2009, 7:18:07 AM12/1/09
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Dear Neil,
i may be wrong, but to me your photographs looks like leaves of Rademarchera xylocarpa.
thanks
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Dec 1, 2009, 9:33:15 AM12/1/09
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I had earlier posted this tree from Pune.April 2009
Attaching pictures when in flowering stage. Compound imparripinnate leaves with 7 leaflets can be observed. I have never seen fruits on this tree.
Dr Satish Phadke

2009/12/1 Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>

--

DSCN0349a.jpg
Schrebera swietenoides.jpg

Nayan Singh

Dec 1, 2009, 10:08:46 AM12/1/09
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
uploading my pic of Fruits

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Dec 1, 2009, 11:39:20 AM12/1/09
to Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Sorry. The local name is Mokha [not Motha].
             Regards,
               Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Dec 1, 2009, 11:43:52 AM12/1/09
to Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Hi Mr.Singh,
   Thanks but I also have many Kharsing [Radermachera xylocarpa] trees on my property.
                Regards,
                  Neil Soares.

Vijayasankar Raman

Dec 1, 2009, 11:58:39 PM12/1/09
to Nayan Singh, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Thanks Nayan ji, I had the same doubt too. Now i checked with flora and learnt that the leaves are 1-pinnate in Schrebera and 2-3-pinnate in Radermachera. I think you are right.

Anantanarayan Rajaram

Dec 2, 2009, 2:18:28 AM12/2/09
to Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Can you please look at the attached pic and let me know if it is the same or entirely different. This tree is the sthala vriksha of the famous Thiruvarur temple in Tamil Nadu. It stands above a setting/enclave where yoga was said to be taught by Shiva - so the legend goes. Thanks very much.
Rajaram
R. xylocarpa.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Dec 2, 2009, 2:31:01 AM12/2/09
to Anantanarayan Rajaram, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
But this looks like a Bignoniaceae member.

Nayan Singh

Dec 2, 2009, 2:50:55 AM12/2/09
to Anantanarayan Rajaram, indiantreepix
............your plant is different, this is some Stereospermum sp, may be S. chelonoides from Bignoniaceae
thanks

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Dec 2, 2009, 3:09:38 AM12/2/09
to Nayan Singh, Anantanarayan Rajaram, indiantreepix
Dear all,
I think by attaching similar or closely similar plant pictures in the same thread leads to confusion of the main subject. In addition, I think it would be difficult to search & analyse in future with these multiple species photos. So we could better post in different mails and refer the link threads for analyzing.
Thank you much.

Neil Soares

Dec 2, 2009, 12:51:54 PM12/2/09
to Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Hi Mr.Singh & Mr.Raman,
   My apologies for the mix-up. Sending the right set of photographs now.
                               With regards,
                                 Neil Soares.
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 1.jpg
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 2.jpg
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 3.jpg
Schrebera swieteniodes, Motha 4.jpg

Neil Soares

Dec 2, 2009, 1:03:42 PM12/2/09
to Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Have made the mistake again. The local name is Mokha [not Motha].
                   Regards,
                     Neil Soares