(170509SCS1-5) Some species of Sida or Abutilon ?

Suresh C. Sharma

May 16, 2009, 10:55:47 PM5/16/09
to indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, Neil Soares, grassman
Attaching 5 images of a small wild flowering plant, hanging from a dry soil mound along a country road.
I had posted this plant images earlier in March, but it remained unidentified.
I took a few photographs again on 14th May 09 in the afternoon.
Sonepat, Haryana, 14 May 09.

With the help of 5 pix, I hope experts will be able to work out its ID.

Kind regards,
Suresh C. Sharma
Picture-031.jpg
Picture-032.jpg
Picture-033.jpg
Picture-034.jpg
Picture-030.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 17, 2009, 1:49:36 AM5/17/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj, Neil Soares, grassman
... I too am keen to know this plant's ID ... I strongly feel it to be some Sida species.
Regards.

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 17, 2009, 2:05:44 AM5/17/09
to indiantreepix, Suresh C. Sharma, Neil Soares, grassman
Hello sureshji,
    It is sida , I think gargji also dispached this plant.
With Regard
Devendra Bhardwaj

Attaching 5 images of a small wild flowering plant, hanging from a dry soil mound along a country road.
I had posted this plant images earlier in March, but it remained unidentified.
I took a few photographs again on 14th May 09 in the afternoon.
Sonepat, Haryana, 14 May 09.

With the help of 5 pix, I hope experts will be able to work out its ID..

Kind regards,
Suresh C. Sharma

Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India Travel Click here!

J.M. Garg

Jun 16, 2009, 12:18:36 PM6/16/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix, Suresh C. Sharma, Neil Soares, grassman
I think it's Sida cordata. More details from Indiantreepix Database:
Sida cordata (syn. S. veronicifolia, Melochia cordata, S. humilis, S. morifolia, S. radicans) Malvaceae Bhumibala, heartleaf fanpetals  in Narshapur forest, AP on 18/10/08; Sonepat, Haryana, 13 April 09; Sida cordata in Flora of Pakistan @ efloras.org Is this a sida sp - ID -5 - indiantreepix | Google Groups Bhumibala (Sanskrit: ??????) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! Photo Gallery Sida cordata (Bhumibala) - indiantreepix | Google Groups (130409SCS1-4) ID request - wild plant, Sonepat, Haryana - indiantreepix | Google Groups

2009/5/17 Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com>
Click here!

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Swagat

Jun 17, 2009, 6:47:09 AM6/17/09
to J.M. Garg, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix, Suresh C. Sharma, Neil Soares, grassman
Yes Garg ji,

Sida cordata syn. S. humilis is called 'Bhumibala' 'भूमिबला' or 'Bhumibal' 'भूमिबल' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Suresh C. Sharma

Jun 17, 2009, 9:38:55 AM6/17/09
to Swagat, J.M. Garg, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix, Neil Soares, grassman
Thanks to all of you for the ID help.

Whenever I come across Marathi word/s, suddenly the great names Gyaneshwar (for his Gyaneshwari Gita written in 10000 ahang, his elder brother Sopandev, younger Nivriti Nath, and sister Muktabai, Namdev, Eknath, Tukaram and many many others flood my mind and I bow my head silently with a deeply felt sense of gratitude).

Best,
Suresh

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Swagat <swaga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes Garg ji,

Sida cordata syn. S. humilis is called 'Bhumibala' 'भूमिबला' or 'Bhumibal' 'भूमिबल' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568
Sida cordata (syn. S. veronicifolia, Melochia cordata, S. humilis, S. morifolia, S. radicans)
2009/5/17 Devendra Bhardwaj <devendra...@yahoo.com>
Hello sureshji,
    It is sida , I think gargji also dispached this plant.
With Regard
Devendra Bhardwaj

Dinesh Valke

Jun 17, 2009, 9:43:46 AM6/17/09
to Swagat, J.M. Garg, Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix, Suresh C. Sharma, Neil Soares, grassman
... Many many thanks Swagat ji, Garg ji, and all.
Regards.

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 17, 2009, 9:58:02 AM6/17/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Its very difficult to uproot all Sida sp.by hand due to its root system. That's why it is known as Vajramooli or Vajramuli in many parts of Orissa.

This is just for information.

Pankaj Oudhia

Dinesh Valke

Jun 17, 2009, 10:20:34 AM6/17/09
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
... many thanks Pankaj ji, ... feels good to know plants via names, how the names are derived & c ... becomes easy to know their nature and identity.