Mimusops elengi

sibdas ghosh

Apr 28, 2009, 12:54:13 PM4/28/09
to indiantreepix
Minusops elengi- Bakul in Bengali, Maulsari in Hindi. A beautiful
small sized avenue tree, with small fragrant flowers. with dome shaped
canopy, comaparable to lime wood trees (Linden Baum) in England and
Germany. Garlands are made from small flowers, which is also the
source of Maulsari Attar. Fruits are liked by Birds and village
children.
100_1067.jpg
100_1068.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2009, 8:44:01 AM4/29/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
I think I haven't seen a canopy denser than this. Am I wrong? Hardly any light can filter through it's foliage.

2009/4/28 sibdas ghosh <sibda...@gmail.com>
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

sibdas ghosh

Apr 29, 2009, 10:12:22 AM4/29/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I am not sure , but I am tempted to agree with you. That is one of the reasons why they are preferred as shade tree specially during the summer months .

--
Sibdas Ghosh

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 29, 2009, 10:42:55 AM4/29/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
In these columns somebody wrote that this was a favourite of Tagore. It was so of Krishna also. Any number of poems have also mentioned this flower. .......this is an old time favourite and you will find it in many heritage buildings of North India. Its only disadvantage is that it is  slow growing.  But at the same tiew has long life. These are  the days of cassia, gulmohur and peltoforum!
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road