VOF Week: Valeriana jatamansii??? en-route Hemkund Sahib

Prashant Awale

Aug 25, 2012, 3:49:59 AM8/25/12
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Came across this small herb en-route Hemkund Sahib. Looks like some Valeriana sp.?  I had just gone thru the Dinesh's post where in Gurcharn Singh ji has indicated that this plant could be Valeriana jatamansii.

Regards
Prashant
Valeriana sp at HS.jpg
IMG_3434.jpg
IMG_3436.jpg
IMG_3432.jpg
IMG_3435.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 25, 2012, 4:01:55 AM8/25/12
to Prashant Awale, indiantreepix
Thank you very much Prashant for getting us to see the basal leaves.
Referring to Gurcharan ji's comment in my post at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/23Ygi-S8t5s/2tUFia2UQoAJ ... basal leaves are simple cordate in case of Valeriana jatamansii ... not sure the leaves are cordate here; they seem to have winged stalk.
Let us wait for Gurcharan ji's comment.

Regards.
Dinesh

Prashant

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 25, 2012, 7:17:33 PM8/25/12
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant Awale, indiantreepix
Yes Dinesh ji
I had my doubts even before I read your mail. Pink flowers were already worrying me. I would now go with V. himalayana, till better alternative emerges.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Prashant Awale

Aug 25, 2012, 11:43:18 PM8/25/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Gurcharan Singh ji. It does look like Valeriana himalayana. Have  a look at this link:
 http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250065556
Regards
Prashant