¿ Solanum nigrum ?

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2009, 8:06:33 AM10/16/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

... some Solanaceae member growing on slopes ... could it be Solanum nigrum ... ID please.

Place: Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
Habitat: on slope
Date: 10 OCT 09

Regards.
P1060995.jpg
P1060985.jpg
P1060994.jpg

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Oct 16, 2009, 8:18:50 AM10/16/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
This is neither  Solanum nigrum nor Solanaceae. It belongs to Gentianaceae may be an Exacum?

Santhosh

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
Tropical BOtanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2009, 2:18:26 PM10/16/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, Indian Tree Pix
Santhosh ji, many thanks for straightening the ID !!
The plant is standing erect, about 40 cms, flowers near-white ... ¿ Exacum pedunculatum ?

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 16, 2009, 2:33:56 PM10/16/09
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, Indian Tree Pix
... on second thoughts, it could be Exacum tetragonum.
Friends, please validate.
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2009, 9:04:28 AM11/14/09
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Pravin Kawale, vivek kale, Rani Bhagat

Earlier relevant feedback:

“... on second thoughts, it could be Exacum tetragonum.
Friends, please validate.” from Dinesh ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

P1060995.jpg
P1060985.jpg
P1060994.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Nov 14, 2009, 9:43:49 AM11/14/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Pravin Kawale, vivek kale, Rani Bhagat
This is not Solanum nigrum

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth
Chennai
www.careearthtrust.org

J.M. Garg

Nov 15, 2009, 12:23:40 AM11/15/09
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, Pravin Kawale, vivek kale, Rani Bhagat
Reply from Shrikant ji:
"This is Exacum pedunculatum looking at the winged calyx. Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar"

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 3, 2009, 11:15:23 AM12/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Dinesh Valke, Rani Bhagat
Resurfacing again for ID
Earlier feedback from Shrikant ji....This is Exacum pedunculatum looking at the winged calyx

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Feb 26, 2010, 10:04:05 AM2/26/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Rani Bhagat, Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India
... common names of Exacum pedunculatum are: stalked Persian violet • Kannada: ದೊಡ್ಡ ಚಿರಾಯಿತ dodda chiraayita • Tamil: கணப்பூண்டு kana-p-puntu

(Please validate the names; also requesting that any other regional names be also added ... calling dear Swagat for Marathi name if available)

Found from WWW that E. pedunculatum is found throughout India, however not much is discussed about its uses.
Wondering whether it was introduced and has naturalized ... was not able to know its nativity either.

Regards.

JM Garg

May 28, 2017, 4:54:32 AM5/28/17
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
To me these appear to be Exacum petiolare Griseb. as per images herein.
P1060995.jpg
P1060985.jpg
P1060994.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 29, 2017, 12:49:06 AM5/29/17
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Indeed Garg ji. Thank you very much for pointing to the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

May 29, 2017, 1:32:45 AM5/29/17
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
I found I have labeled these photos as Exacum pedunculatum in flickr some time back.
I went through all the posts of E. petiolare and pedunculatum, but could not grasp the difference OR may be I missed some point in one of the posts. I will be happy to know of the difference.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2017, 1:58:57 AM5/29/17
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Thanks, Dinesh ji, for asking the answer.
I initially faced the problem while sorting out images of these species, as could not find the differences on net.
Later clearly observed the differences & saw them in efi thread:
As per efi thread for Exacum petiolare:
Calyx lobes with broad dorsal wings that are prominently nerved, leaves 5 nerved suggests that this could be Exacum petiolare. Leaves are petioled according to the key provided by Gamble.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

May 29, 2017, 12:24:52 PM5/29/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Thanks Garg ji for the key differences between petiolare and pedunculata.
I am slightly uncomfortable ... on going through descriptions of both the species on internet, it looks like the 5 nerved leaves may not be characteristic to E. petiolare alone.

In my post, I am not able to see calyx lobes with prominently nerved broad dorsal wings. I think I cannot see them in any posts of E. petiolare in our database. I hope I am not mistaking.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2017, 11:13:10 PM5/29/17
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Thanks, Dinesh ji.
What ever may be the situation, if you observe the two plants at EFI site, they appear quite different from each other.

Dinesh Valke

May 29, 2017, 11:43:57 PM5/29/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Okay Garg ji, will revise my notes accordingly.
Hoping that we get more posts for these two close species.
Regards.
Dinesh