Long-tailed Habenaria

Neil Soares

Sep 5, 2010, 12:57:19 PM9/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 At my farm today. The Long-tailed Habenaria [Habenaria commelinifolia] has just started to flower.
                    Regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Long-tailed Habenaria [Habenaria commelinifolia] 1.jpg
Long-tailed Habenaria [Habenaria commelinifolia] 2.jpg
Long-tailed Habenaria [Habenaria commelinifolia] 3.jpg

Prashant awale

Sep 5, 2010, 1:02:54 PM9/5/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Excellent Photographs. Thanks Neil ji for showing this beauty from your Farm.
regards
Prashant

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 5, 2010, 1:08:11 PM9/5/10
to Prashant awale, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
This is cool....Habenaria commelinifolia....this is not Long tailed Habenaria, this is COMMELINA LEAVED HABENARIA.
Long tailed Habenaria should be HABENARIA LONGICORNICULATA (LONGI means LONG, CONRU means tail)..
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Neil Soares

Sep 5, 2010, 1:13:43 PM9/5/10
to Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr.Pankaj,
  Fair enough. Thanks.
               Regards,
                Neil Soares.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 5, 2010, 1:26:57 PM9/5/10
to Neil Soares, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thats Habenaria longicorniculata with around 15 cm long spur.
Regards
Slide15.JPG

tanay bose

Sep 5, 2010, 9:26:27 PM9/5/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, Prashant awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Lovely plant looks really beautiful
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Tabish

Sep 6, 2010, 4:07:33 PM9/6/10
to efloraofindia
Pankaj boss, Sorry for putting too fine a point on it, but cornu means
horn. And when culata is added at the end, it generally means short -
e.g. calyculata means short calyx. Now adding a "longi" before
corniculata is weird! Must have an interesting explanation. However,
with such a long tail, Long-Tailed Habenaria is a natural name for
Habenaria longicorniculata.
- Tabish

On Sep 5, 10:26 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thats Habenaria longicorniculata with around 15 cm long spur.
> Regards
>

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dr.Pankaj,
> >   Fair enough. Thanks.
> >                Regards,
> >                 Neil Soares.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 6, 2010, 4:22:20 PM9/6/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Tabish Sir,

"longi" means "long"; "cornu" does mean "horn" but it also means
"spur" which is often called as tail in Orchids; "culata" or "culatus"
means "at the end". So the word, "longicorniculatus", means "long spur
at the end"....

"calyculata" doesnt mean "short calyx", it means "provided with
calyculus", and "calyculus" means "epicalyx".

:).

Pankaj

Tabish

Sep 6, 2010, 4:28:10 PM9/6/10
to efloraofindia
Fair enough boss! :-)
- Tabish

Shantanu

Sep 7, 2010, 3:56:29 AM9/7/10
to efloraofindia
nice explanation Pankaj ji....
there are lots of things to learn in this group. :)

Shantanu.