Eranthemum strictum in FOI

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2022, 8:07:28 AM5/3/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish
Hi, Tabish ji,
They are different from Eranthemum strictum Colebr. ex Roxb., as per images, keys and references herein.
Pl. correct.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

May 4, 2022, 1:52:01 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia
Thank you Garg ji for scrutinizing this. Please notice the short stamens (not protruding) and fewer number of primary veins of the leaves, which clearly distinguishe this plant from Eranthemum pulchellum.
    Tabish

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2022, 1:57:25 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish
Thanks, Tabish ji,
Bracts are most imp. aspect for I'd. Leaves may be variable.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Tabish

May 4, 2022, 5:46:56 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia
Also, do compare with attached illustration of Eranthemum strictum
   Tabish
upright-eranthemum-eranthemum-strictum-handcoloured-copperplate-engraving-by-swan-after-an-illustration-by-william-jackson-hooker-from-samuel-curtiss-botanical-magazine-london-1831-2A77C8M.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2022, 5:51:05 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish
Bracts are clearly green in the illustration and not white with green nerves as in FOI.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

May 4, 2022, 6:06:13 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia
That color variation may be a minor aspect, that's my view.
   Tabish

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2022, 6:19:26 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish
No. Keys are based on whether bracts are green or white. Other things come later.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

May 4, 2022, 7:16:21 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia
True, the color of the bracts is not green. But look at the 4-5 pairs of nerves on the leaves in the image on POWO, and in the illustration I posted earlier. This agrees with the plant depicted as E. strictum on FOI. Compare with the leaves of Eranthemum pulchellum. Also compare with the flowers with exserted stamens of  Eranthemum pulchellum, and the inflorescence.
   Tabish

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2022, 8:12:11 AM5/4/22
to efloraofindia, Tabish
I do not agree. Leaves are variable. Pl. see GBIF specimens and description in the book at our site link.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg