pics of Arisaema tortuosum

shubhada nikharge

Jul 6, 2010, 1:03:04 PM7/6/10
to indian tree pix
Hi Geeta,
nice pics of A. murrayi.

I saw 2 plants of Arisaema tortuosum today at CEC, Goregaon, Mumbai.
Last year i saw the withered plant.
attached few pics of it.

Local Marathi name: सापकांदा
English Name:
Whipcord Cobra Lily
Family:
Araceae
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec e.JPG
Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec_1 e.JPG
Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec_2 e.JPG
Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec_4 e.JPG
Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec_5 e.JPG
Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec_8 e.JPG
Copy of Arisaema tortuosum Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec_3 e.JPG
Arisaema tortuosum leaves Whipcord Cobra Lily सापकांदा Araceae 2010_07_06_cec e.JPG

shubhada nikharge

Jul 6, 2010, 1:17:25 PM7/6/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,
Extremely sorry.  I forgot to reduce the size of one pic.
Sending again after resizing.

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

tanay bose

Jul 6, 2010, 11:41:05 PM7/6/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Dear Subhada ji,
I really appreciate your photographic skill and your knowledge in Biology. The plant has been exceptionally well recorded through you lens and the photos do provide a 3D image of the plant in the reader mind.

Arisaema tortuosum var. curvatum (Roxb.) Engler in Pflanzenr. 4, 23 F: 191. 1920.

Vern.: ‘Kiriki kukri’.

  • Arisaema curvatum (Roxb.) Kunth
  • Arum curvatum Roxb.

    Usually monoecious but sometimes paradioecious. Leaves (1-)2, pedate; leaflets 11-13, linear to lanceolate, 9-19 x 0.6-1.7 (-2.5) cm. Spathe longer than the foliage, green, ribbed; tube 5.4-5 cm long, cylindrical, gradually broadening into an ovate, caudate-acuminate limb, larger than the tube. Spadix appendage 8-19 cm long , stout, at first curved and then prolonged upright beyond the limb, black when dry. In monoecious forms the male zone longer than the female. Stamens stalked; anther dehiscence porose. Ovary ovoid, c. 1.5 mm long; style short, stigma discoid, papillate. Berry 6-7 mm broad. Seeds 4-5, ± angular-ovoid, testa rugose, coriaceous, yellowish-brown.

  • Not common. The shape of the leaflets varies from linear-lanceolate to lanceolate. The colour of the anthers is bright yellow to white (fide Collett, l.c. 540). The type variety tortuosum (Arum tortuosum Wall. Pl. Asia, Rar. 2: 10, t. 114. 1830) differs in the broad elliptic-ovate to oblong-lanceolate leaves (4.6-10 x 2-4 cm) and the purple anthers (fide Collett, l.c.). Collett mentions that it is also earlier flowering. Its distribution is from Simla east to Burma.

    A root extract is used as a vermifuge for cattle.

Illustration: http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=57608&flora_id=5

regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

shubhada nikharge

Jul 7, 2010, 6:56:43 AM7/7/10
to tanay bose, indian tree pix
Dear Tanayji,
thanx a lot for ur appreciation and . thank u very much for the info on the plant.
I have a very little knowledge abt biology as I was a student of Mathematics at graduation level. Whatever little I know abt botany is because of the one year correspondence course in botany that i did last year from BNHS conducted by Dr. Swapna Prabhu and of course Dr. Usha Desai has taught me a lot.

i am reproducing the mail sent to me by Parjanya ji. She has a diff. opinion abt the sp.

Dear Shubhada jee..
Fascinated to see the Clicks..
Well., I hope, the plant has been identified correctly. There is also another variety of this,  var. neglectum, which will be having two leaves and the leaves will be pedatisect.
Once againn congradulating you for the nice pic.