re: hibiscus id

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 3, 2009, 12:25:02 PM9/3/09
to indiantreepix
Yes the white ones are quite common (also in our garden) and sometimes we have found them turning pink (like one of your two flowers) and sometimes a combination (attached).

I was unable to explain this phenomenon and had asked for help here earlier.

rakesh

Sep 3, 2009, 1:34:00 PM9/3/09
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Hi Rakesh,
They look beautiful. I think it must be a rare plant grown out of
seeds that were accidentally pollinated by beas.
Regards
Yazdy.

MAX OVERTON

Sep 3, 2009, 8:57:05 PM9/3/09
to rakesh...@gmail.com, Indian tree pics
Streaks or patches like this in flower colour are often caused by a virus. I used to grow carnations for sale and if my stocks got infected with a virus, the orange or yellow blooms would have streaks of red. Apparently this comes from a red ancestor and the virus activates dormant genes.

Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton http://www.maxoverton.com

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006
The Glass House Trilogy (Eppie finalists), A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry
Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Ay (Book 4 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass Continuum, Ascension
Works in Progress: Djinn, Scarab - Horemheb (Book 5 of the Amarnan Kings)

Also check out http://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 21:55:02 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:17558] re: hibiscus id
From: rakesh...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 3, 2009, 10:47:12 PM9/3/09
to indiantreepix
Thanks Yazdy and Max.

I have seen this phenomenon occuring with other plants having white hibisci although perhaps in them they appear consistently but in mine they appear randomly
once in 6 months or one year.

This random appearance after a prolonged absence makes it all the more curious. So to quote Max, is it getting infected by a virus from time to time?

rakesh

naresh

Sep 7, 2009, 10:05:00 AM9/7/09
to indiantreepix
This could be because of Chimera.

Naresh Pancholi
>  flower change 1.jpg
> 75KViewDownload
>
>  flower change 2.jpg
> 100KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2009, 2:15:03 PM9/7/09
to naresh, indiantreepix
I would request all who have sent their observations on this Hibiscus
species: to look at the size of leaves, the dentation of leaves, colour of
leaves, habit of the plant, size of stipules, petiole length, peduncle
length. These are being neglected while commenting on this plant and every
one is just talking about flower colour.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi