Pehaps Unusual? ID request.

Bradley Henderson

Aug 2, 2021, 8:39:47 PM8/2/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you for welcoming me to your group. I am new here, and from the USA, but am an avid researcher of ancient India. This picture is from Panchavarnaswamy Temple, taken by a Mr. Praveen Mohan, not myself. I see clearly clusters of three obovate leaves and paired fruits, seeming smooth bark, . I expect this is indeed a tree, but could be a shrub. It almost certainly does not grow in this shape naturally. Does anyone have an idea or guess as to what this might be, or if it might be an extinct but know species? Thank you for considering my request.

BrahmaTree.jpg

radha veach

Aug 2, 2021, 10:46:52 PM8/2/21
to efloraofindia
As this temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva the carving may be of a Bael tree (bilva), Aegle marmelos (Rutaceae)
At the bottom is a hand perhaps plucking a leaf for worship. Bael leaves are used as offerings to Lord Shiva.

regards
Radha

Saroj Kasaju

Aug 2, 2021, 11:41:23 PM8/2/21
to efloraindia, radha veach
I agree with Radha madame !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Aug 3, 2021, 1:25:27 AM8/3/21
to efloraofindia, radha veach
I too agree with Radha ma'am,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 08/03/21, 10:54:27 AM

Bradley Henderson

Aug 3, 2021, 3:14:32 PM8/3/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you Radha, and thank you all!

This is exactly it. Please then let me share some knowledge with you. Please do not use this for financial gain, but feel free to tell others. The tree shown in the picture is in the shape of an human brain. The exact point of the brain he is pointing to is the point of kechari mudra, where amrita is tasted.  Brahma also is making jnana mudra, while holding the leaves. This indicates that the leaves of this plant are specifically useful for meditation, generation of amrita, and I believe it may also be soma. Brahma, the creator, is indicating the method to create amrita.

Thank you again, Radha, Saroj, and paradesia. You have been most helpful.

radha veach

Aug 3, 2021, 11:51:09 PM8/3/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you and all the best for your research.

regards
Radha