Request for ID- Yeralwadi 2

Swagat

Jan 18, 2010, 11:53:49 PM1/18/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Request for ID...

Photographed at Yeralwadi येरळवाडी, Dist. Satara सातारा, Maharashtra.
Date- 06th January 2010.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

060110-Yeralwadi-Swagat2.jpg
060110-Yeralwadi-Swagat2A.jpg
060110-Yeralwadi-Swagat2B.jpg
060110-Yeralwadi-Swagat2C.jpg

Parjanya guru

Jan 19, 2010, 12:43:43 AM1/19/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
..A species of Ficus again...
.. But lacking the fig characters...

rashida atthar

Jan 19, 2010, 1:14:04 AM1/19/10
to swaga...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Ficus mysorensis to me, but the back of leaves in your pics is not as pubescent perhaps because they seem to be new young leaves. Will post Pics for comparison separately.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:23:49 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:26564] Request for ID- Yeralwadi 2
From: swaga...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Bharat Bhushan

Jan 19, 2010, 9:21:36 AM1/19/10
to indiantreepix, bharat...@yahoo.com
Got this photograph on a visit to Tryambakeshwar, Nashik, Maharashtra State on 16 January 2010.

The vendor claimed it to be "Sanjeevani Butti" and that it would have magical healing properties and it was the same as the one picked up by Hanuman. All taken in good spirit, of course.

Can anyone fill me in on the story?

Regards.

Dr. Bharat Bhushan
Dean (Academic) and Professor, Environmental Planning
Yashwantrao Chavan Academy of Development Administration

Address: YASHADA Campus, Baner Road, Pune 411007, India

DSC03350.JPG

Swagat

Jan 19, 2010, 9:36:12 AM1/19/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rashida ji and Parjanya guru ji,

...will wait for the conformation.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Aparna Watve

Jan 20, 2010, 12:14:15 AM1/20/10
to Bharat Bhushan, indiantreepix, bharat...@yahoo.com
pl refer to the earlier discussion on this matter on ITP.
If you have a close-up, I would like to check if it is Cheilanthes or
Selaginella (both ferns)- such things are sold across India in
religious spots, with lots of nonsense stories. I met some Shrilankan
botanist, and they have their own species sold in the Shrilankan
market as Sanjeevani, with similar stories
aparna

> --

Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve
Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works

roozbeh gazdar

Jan 20, 2010, 12:19:58 AM1/20/10
to indiantreepix, Bharat Bhushan, bharat...@yahoo.com
I have seen this routinely being sold on the streets in Mumbai. The sprigs look dry, but once they are put them in water they turn green again.

I didn't know they were sold as having medicinal properties and assumed it was for ornamental purposes.

Roozbeh Gazdar

Jan 20, 2010, 7:05:42 AM1/20/10
to efloraofindia
This is Selaginella bryopteris btw. It has microphylls whereas
Chelianthes has proper fronds with sorus on the margin on lower side.
Regards
Pankaj

Pardeshi S.

Jan 20, 2010, 9:30:41 AM1/20/10
to efloraofindia
the herb which is commonly sold as Sanjeevani is
Selaginella bryopteris (L.) Bak recently i observed growing them
abundantly on the rocky areas in Bihar.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jan 20, 10:19 am, roozbeh gazdar <gentlebru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have seen this routinely being sold on the streets in Mumbai. The sprigs look dry, but once they are put them in water they turn green again.
>
> I didn't know they were sold as having medicinal properties and assumed it was for ornamental purposes.
>
> Roozbeh Gazdar

J.M. Garg

Feb 24, 2010, 2:56:11 AM2/24/10
to efloraofindia, Swagat, rashida atthar, Pankaj Oudhia

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier relevant feedback:

“..A species of Ficus again...
.. But lacking the fig characters...” from Parjanya ji.

Looks like Ficus mysorensis to me, but the back of leaves in your pics is not as pubescent perhaps because they seem to be new young leaves. Will post Pics for comparison separately.
regards,
Rashida.”

Feb 24, 2010, 3:59:51 AM2/24/10
to efloraofindia, Swagat, rashida atthar, Pankaj Oudhia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
A reply:
"Without figs but from leaves and short arial roots it can be F. amplissima. Regards, Shrikant"

Kenneth Greby

Feb 24, 2010, 11:54:13 AM2/24/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Swagat, rashida atthar, Pankaj Oudhia
Looks much closer to F. microcarpa than F. mysorensis to me.

Do we know the leaf dimensions?

Regards--
Ken Greby.

Feb 24, 2010, 1:10:45 PM2/24/10
to fst...@yahoo.com, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, swaga...@gmail.com, pankaj...@gmail.com
Yes I also agree it looks much closer to F. microcarpa. The short roots hanging from branches and about 2 inches leaf petioles besides the shape matches more with F. microcarpa. Last Sunday saw what I think is  F. microcarpa at Sagar upvan in Mumbai which also matches with this tree.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:54:13 -0800
From: fst...@yahoo.com
To: jmg...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com
CC: swaga...@gmail.com; rashid...@hotmail.com; pankaj...@gmail.com

Swagat

Feb 26, 2010, 1:49:47 AM2/26/10
to rashida atthar, fst...@yahoo.com, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, pankaj...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot Kenneth ji and Rashida ji.

...so I am locking it as 'Ficus microcarpa'

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

JM Garg