On a dead tree & beautiful parakeets returning home

raghu ananth

Aug 29, 2010, 8:56:03 AM8/29/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The tower (tree) of babble

It’s a tree, full of holes and deep openings that lies dead and withering but that hasn’t stopped these great conversationalists (Rose ringed parakeets) from perching here come evening. This dead tree lies in a field, on the village outskirts, giving the birds a place to rest and unwind without fear of anything. It took them a while to accept my presence as well.

August - monsoon time – and by 4 PM, the villagers start returning home quite early with the days’ gathering on their head & shoulders (read vegetables, mostly greens, hay, green grass, pulses, sugar cane, plantain…). They return early to avoid the evening monsoon rains, winds and the cold air that blows by the river floods. There’s a transition taking place in the evening sky as the sun goes down and against this, the beautiful parakeets are etched out as if in technicolour. It’s a riot of colour and speech then as these lovely parakeets talk, chatter and perhaps even squabble with one another, flying in as they do and a new flock joining them from a different direction. Probably, the villagers and the parakeets are in tandem as regards reaching home early during this season.

What is strange is that even after two years and after umpteen visits, especially during sunset, I was not able to sight these divine parakeets on the same tree.

Come dusk and villagers return home after a hard days’ work, sometimes in their bullock carts, at times walking, carrying their burden on their heads – this scene never fails to delight me. Will share some of the photos soon..

Habitat: paddy fields, adjacent to a irrigation canal.

Place: Chandagal Village, Krishnaraja nagara,  Mysore district

Photo date: 08 Aug 2008 3.40 PM

Regards

Raghu / Sunita

Chennai

DSC_1624.jpg
DSC_1616.jpg
DSC_1643.jpg
DSC_1312.jpg
DSC_1594.jpg
DSC_1595.jpg
DSC_1599.jpg
DSC_1611.jpg
DSC_2043.jpg
DSC_2637.jpg
DSC_0548.jpg
DSC_1259.jpg
DSC_1265.jpg
DSC_1712.jpg
DSC_1713.jpg
DSC_1868.jpg
P1060123.jpg
DSC_1625b.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 29, 2010, 2:54:02 PM8/29/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Just Fantastic
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

raghu ananth

Oct 5, 2010, 6:54:45 PM10/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

A few months back, I had posted this picture of a tree (

29 Aug 2010, Indiantreepix)

) that appeared lifeless, with many parakeets perched on it, a photograph that I had clicked sometime in Aug 2008.

http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/bc19b06f9cc60a9d/acfe064e44bd521b?lnk=gst&q=on+a+dead+tree+and+parakeet#acfe064e44bd521b

** An excerpt from the same message post

 "What is strange is that even after two years and after umpteen visits, especially during sunset, I was not able to sight these divine parakeets on the same tree." **

But on my recent visit to ChandagaI village (Sep 2010), I was curious to know if the parakeets were returning back to the same dead tree. I was quite amazed to see that the tree I had deemed dead was sporting yellow flowers in some of its branches.

The tree had me properly fooled I thought.

Later, a villager who came by there to walk his dog explained that many years ago the irrigation water canal supervisor had chopped all the branches of this tree and was about to chop the trunk too when a few villagers had stopped him from doing so and let him off with a warning.

 But then again,  what if no  parakeet spectacle seen in this tree,  I thought that this tree has had a rebirth, what with it sprouting yellow flowers once again !

This tree is locally believed to be chagache - loosely translates to sesbania grandiflora or  cassia tora

Request to  confirm the tree ID.

Height -18 feet, Leaves opposite,

Photo Date  4th week Sept. 2010
Chandagal village,  Mysore dist.