Plant ID request 23072011MC1

Mohan V. Chunkath

Jul 23, 2011, 7:20:57 AM7/23/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,
Another identification request regarding the plant on which the Loten's sunbird was found feeding.

Location: Adyar Theosophical Society Gardens, Chennai
Plant Type: Large shrub
Flowers: Orange colour, tubular, nectar-bearing

Thanks,
Mohan Chunkath
5956205037_28478894d8_b.jpg

Samir Mehta

Jul 23, 2011, 7:42:54 AM7/23/11
to efloraofindia
Hamelia patens & Purple sunbird, male, in eclipse plumage.

Regards,

Samir Mehta

On Jul 23, 4:20 pm, "Mohan V. Chunkath" <mohan.chunk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  5956205037_28478894d8_b.jpg
> 148KViewDownload

mchunkat

Jul 23, 2011, 8:06:53 AM7/23/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Samir Ji,
Thanks for the ID assistance.
Cheers,
Mohan Chunkath

Samir Mehta

Jul 23, 2011, 12:26:20 PM7/23/11
to efloraofindia
Always welcome Mohan ji.
I did not mention earlier but this bird is very difficult to capture
on film / sensor - and it's a very good image.

Regards,

Samir

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 23, 2011, 12:29:42 PM7/23/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Yes Hamelia patens

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mchunkat

Jul 23, 2011, 12:43:03 PM7/23/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh,

On Jul 23, 9:29 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Hamelia patens
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 24, 2011, 1:44:31 PM7/24/11
to efloraofindia
Yes this should be Purple Sunbird on Hamelia patens.
Pankaj

Smilax004

Jul 25, 2011, 12:51:07 AM7/25/11
to Mohan V. Chunkath, indiantreepix
Have you seen this bird and other birds visiting the flowers of
Hamelia patens quite often. At the same time, whether Apis dorsata
and A. cerana are also foraging on the same individual?

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

wrote:

>  5956205037_28478894d8_b.jpg
> 148KViewDownload

mchunkat

Jul 25, 2011, 1:10:27 AM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
I have noticed lots of sunbirds and A. dorsata. Not many A. cerana.
Thanks.
Regards,
Mohan