Telosma sp. from Hooghyl

surajit koley

Jul 5, 2012, 1:47:12 PM7/5/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Found this twiner in a shady place, under dense canopies of other trees, intertwined with other species like Smilax and Cayratia trifolia, hanging from an unknown tree.

But, my species -
  1. stems far more than 3 meters, unlike T. pallida in Flora of China - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200018714
  2. corolla tube "as long as or shorter than lobes" , like T. pallida in Flora of China - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200018714
  3. Flowers seems to be odourless, i didn't smell, even if fragrant, must be faintly. like T. pallida in Flora of China - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200018714
  4. no. of basal veins (leaves) of my species = i am confused
So,

Species : Telosma sp., close to Telosma pallida (Roxb.) Craib
Habit & Habitat : wild slender twiner, under tree canopy, more than 15 feet high
Date : 4/7/12. 12.42 p.m.
Place : Garalgacha, Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

climber2_DSCN6470.jpg
climber2_DSCN6476.jpg
climber2_DSCN6489.jpg
climber2_DSCN6491.jpg
climber2_DSCN6495.jpg
climber2_DSCN6497.jpg
climber2_DSCN6502.jpg
climber2_DSCN6506.jpg
climber2_DSCN6510.jpg

jmgarg1

Jul 14, 2012, 8:37:47 AM7/14/12
to efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com, Sujana K Arjunan

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1900 members & 1,20,700 messages on 30/6/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7000 species).

climber2_DSCN6470.jpg
climber2_DSCN6476.jpg
climber2_DSCN6489.jpg
climber2_DSCN6491.jpg
climber2_DSCN6495.jpg
climber2_DSCN6497.jpg
climber2_DSCN6502.jpg
climber2_DSCN6506.jpg
climber2_DSCN6510.jpg

Chitra Shanker

Jul 14, 2012, 9:32:30 AM7/14/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com, Sujana K Arjunan
It is indeed TElosoma cordata a fragrant flowering creeper the flowers of which are called a s kodi sampangi in Tamil
--
Dr. Chitra Shanker
Sr. Scientist (Entomology)

surajit koley

Jul 14, 2012, 11:58:54 AM7/14/12
to Chitra Shanker, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Sujana K Arjunan
Madam,

Thank you very much for the ID of this plant.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jul 14, 2012, 11:59:18 AM7/14/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Sujana K Arjunan
Thank you Garg Sir for taking care of this plant. It has been identified by Chitra Ji as Telosma cordata.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Aug 22, 2012, 10:26:20 PM8/22/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Sir,

I revisited this plant a couple of days ago, on the 18th, this month. The flowers are not fragrant, nor even the faintest way. I attach latest photos.

Regards,

surajit

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM, jmgarg1 <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Telosma_pallida_(T_cordata)_DSCN8719.jpg
Telosma_pallida_(T_cordata)_DSCN8723.jpg
Telosma_pallida_(T_cordata)_DSCN8725.jpg

Mahadeswara

Aug 22, 2012, 11:53:49 PM8/22/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1
Please see the link  on  T.pallida, wherein   Prof. Gurucharan ji has posted the photographs (ID confirmed):
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/indiantreepix/6SmkEdeOsTk/_9onzeT-ZogJ.   The photographs of the  leaves  posted by you do not match with those.   Therefore, please recheck for ID confirmation or otherwise..

surajit koley

Aug 23, 2012, 2:20:05 PM8/23/12
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1
Dear Mahadeswara Ji,

I do not claim that my species is T. pallida, neither do i claim it is T. cordata. Please note, i have written in my post, these very words : "Species : Telosma sp., close to Telosma pallida (Roxb.) Craib".

According to Flora of China (http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200018714) and a pdf file available at, http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/pdf/PDF16/telosma.pdf, the leaf apex of Telosma pallida is acuminate, flowers are odorless or nearly so. If an image at http://www.biotik.org/india/defs/814_en.html correctly shows what an acuminate apex means, i think my species leaves have the same feature, and again it can be compared with - http://herbarium-images.googlecode.com/hg/specimen-represent-scans/3792-telosma-pallida.jpg,, maybe leaves of my second uploads also feature ovate-cordate and base deeply cordate, besides flowers are odorless.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Aug 24, 2012, 2:13:33 PM8/24/12
to Mahadeswara, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1
Mahadeswara Ji,

Today once again i recorded some more pics of the same plant, from the same place. Hope these pics will help determine the ID of this species, be it T. pallida or T. cordata or some other. These flowers are never fragrant, as have been checked by some of my students also.

Average scaling of leaves and flowers :-
  • leaf petiole = 3.2 cm
  • leaf blade = 7.5 cm x 5 cm
  • peduncle = 1.1 cm
  • pedicel = 0.8 cm

Regards,

surajit

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Mahadeswara <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:

--

third_set_DSCN9503.jpg
third_set_DSCN9513.jpg

jmgarg1

Aug 29, 2012, 5:40:23 AM8/29/12
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, M Swamy, Chitra Shanker, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, sujan...@yahoo.com, surajitno...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/indiantreepix/6SmkEdeOsTk/_9onzeT-ZogJ.   The photographs of the  leaves  posted by you do not match with those.   Therefore, please recheck for ID confirmation or otherwise..” from Mahadeswara ji.

"Today once again i recorded some more pics of the same plant, from the same place. Hope these pics will help determine the ID of this species, be it T. pallida or T. cordata or some other. These flowers are never fragrant, as have been checked by some of my students also.
Average scaling of leaves and flowers :-
leaf petiole = 3.2 cm
leaf blade = 7.5 cm x 5 cm
peduncle = 1.1 cm
pedicel = 0.8 cm