Senecio vulgaris from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 8, 2010, 2:32:34 AM7/8/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Senecio vulgaris L. from Kashmir, growing as weed in fields and flower beds, mostly in semishaded areas. Easily differentiated from other species by its annual habit, black-tipped phyllaries and absence of ray florets.
This plant coincidently was the beginning of my training in plant taxonomy. This plant was given to us as a specimen for practical examination, Our teacher had identified it as Sonchus sp., so when I sat for describing plant (I had habit of describing plants from original, and not from memory) I found only disc florests. We were given Hooker's Flora of British India to identify the genus from key, and though I found problem in matching Sonchus, which has only ray florets, I managed to identify this as Sonchus, simply because our teacher had earlier identified the plant as such.
  When I joined research, my doubts led me to study this plant as the first one, as it was growing very commonly in our campus, and soon identified it as Senecio vulgaris, and reported it as first record of the species from our state, perhaps my first publication.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Senecio-vulgaris-a.jpg
Senecio-vulgaris-b.jpg
Senecio-vulgaris-c.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 8, 2010, 8:18:53 AM7/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
A a long belated best wished to you !!

More images and description from : http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellowalt/Senecio_vulgaris_page.html

Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Rashida Atthar

Jul 8, 2010, 9:30:45 AM7/8/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thank you sir for sharing these pictures, and your academic contribution and explanations of this species.

regards,
Rashida.