Cautleya gracilis var. gracilis (Sm.) Dandy submission AS20 July22

Ashutosh Sharma

Jul 19, 2022, 4:58:12 AM7/19/22
to indiantreepix
Respected members,

Cautleya gracilis var. gracilis (Sm.) Dandy
Synonyms- Cautleya luteaRoscoea lutea
Family- Zingiberaceae

Photographed in Kullu District, Himachal Pradesh
Dated - 15 July 2022

Here I am submitting some images of Cautleya gracilis var. gracilis (type variety) which can be easily distinguished from Cautleya gracilis var. robusta (K.Schum.) Sanjappa by its lax 1-5 flowered inflorescence and shorter floral bracts (upto half the length of calyx)
Please refer to following publication for more details

Following above publication there are Four taza under genus Cautleya, so I am adding the key for Cautleya species here for easy identification -

Cautleya spicata - Leaves petiolate and prominent aril in fruit covering completely covering the seed.

Cautleya gracilis var. gracilis - Inflorescence lax, 1-5 flowered, short floral bracts extending only upto half the length of calyx & rhizome running.

Cautleya gracilis var. robusta - Inflorescence dense, more than 10 flowered, floral bracts extending beyond half the length of calyx & rhizome clump forming. Floral bracts, calyx glabrous and corolla tube 2.6-2.7cm long

Cautleya gracilis var. hispida - Floral bracts, calyx pubescent, corolla tube 1 4-1.8cm long as long as calyx.

There are couple of misidentification on our Cautleya sp. page on which i will be commenting shortly.

With best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Cautleya gracilis flower and bud.jpg
Cautleya gracilis flower side view closeup.jpg
Cautleya gracilis.jpg
Cautleya gracilis flowering.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 19, 2022, 5:06:36 AM7/19/22
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma
Thanks, Ashutosh ji

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Cautleya gracilis flower and bud.jpg
Cautleya gracilis flower side view closeup.jpg
Cautleya gracilis.jpg
Cautleya gracilis flowering.jpg

Ashutosh Sharma

Jul 19, 2022, 5:30:34 AM7/19/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Adding some more images

With best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Cautleya gracilis flower front closeup.jpg
Cautleya gracilis fruit.jpg
Cautleya gracilis habitat.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 19, 2022, 5:47:17 AM7/19/22

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg
Cautleya gracilis flower front closeup.jpg
Cautleya gracilis fruit.jpg
Cautleya gracilis habitat.jpg

Mahadeswara

Jul 19, 2022, 11:32:57 PM7/19/22
to eFloraofIndia
Awesome photographs and an upload !

J.M. Garg

Jul 25, 2022, 3:33:01 AM7/25/22
to efloraofindia
Thanks, Ashutosh ji

Cautleya gracilis flower side view closeup.jpg
Cautleya gracilis.jpg
Cautleya gracilis flowering.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 25, 2022, 3:33:23 AM7/25/22