Tree for ID (26.0810 NSJ)

Narendra Joshi

Aug 26, 2010, 8:09:58 AM8/26/10
to Indiantrees
Dear friends,

Attached herewith pictures of a tree for ID. The photo was taken in Jan-09 near Amboli forest region. The tree was full with honeycombs, so a close-up is not available. Around 40 honeycombs were noticed on that tree. The nearby people told they never remove the bee-hives from that particular tree. The tree was around 35 to 40 feet tall.

With Regards,

Narendra Joshi

DSCN6253.JPG
DSCN6257.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 8, 2010, 12:54:28 AM10/8/10
to efloraofindia, narendra joshi

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1400 members & 49,500 messages on 5/10/10 & with a database of around 4050 species on 21/8/10)

DSCN6253.JPG
DSCN6257.JPG

Yazdy Palia

Oct 8, 2010, 8:11:22 AM10/8/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, narendra joshi
To me this looks like a wild Mango tree. A close up would have been helpful. However, I have seen a similar wild mango tree on which there were at least 60 bee hives. Every year they come and colonize the same mango tree during honey season.
Regards
Yazdy.

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2010, 4:52:39 AM10/27/10
to efloraofindia, Yazdy Palia, narendra joshi

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“To me this looks like a wild Mango tree. A close up would have been helpful. However, I have seen a similar wild mango tree on which there were at least 60 bee hives. Every year they come and colonize the same mango tree during honey season.
Regards
Yazdy.”

Oct 27, 2010, 10:53:45 AM10/27/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Yazdy Palia, narendra joshi
Looking at the greyish trunk, I would have gone with Jamun.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Yazdy Palia

Oct 27, 2010, 2:03:25 PM10/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, narendra joshi
Possible, a closeup would have helped, it is difficult to judge. By Jamun , I suppose, Dr. Pankaj means Jawa plum?
Regards
Yazdy.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 27, 2010, 2:08:26 PM10/27/10
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, narendra joshi
Yes sir, I meant Syzygium cumini (L.) Skeels.
Regards
Pankaj

Yazdy Palia

Oct 27, 2010, 2:33:57 PM10/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, narendra joshi
Thank You Pankaj Ji.
Regards
Yazdy.