Advice please

Sushmita Jha

Aug 3, 2010, 3:00:58 AM8/3/10
to indiantreepix
Hello all,

I have several chillie plants growing in my terrace garden germinated out of seeds of Andhra chillies bought in Hyderabad last year. They are quite bushy and healthy, specially after the rains, with lots of flowers, which happened last year too, but chillie output has been/is almost zero.

I would very much appreciate advice on what the reason might be and how I may have the flowers come to fruition. I apologise if this is not the right forum to ask such a question.
Many thanks.
Sushmita Jha

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 3:06:09 AM8/3/10
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Sushmita ji, the main reason for your plants note flowering is due to overcrowding as it is not getting the required food.  So you have to transplant them in medium sized pots @ 2 plants in a pot.    Select the healthy plants and discard the rest.  Plant them in soil mixed with dried cow dung.  Within two months your plants start flowering and after that you will find lots of chillies on the plants.

Regards,

Mani.

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 3:07:23 AM8/3/10
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
One thing I forgot,  give them  full sunlight and timely watering.

Regards,

Mani.

ajinkya gadave

Aug 3, 2010, 3:26:52 AM8/3/10
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
may be  because of no pollination .

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 3:32:54 AM8/3/10
to ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
It could be also because of inferior seeds. Next time try to select healthy seeds from the dried chilli pods and put the seeds in sunlight.  You can put some seeds in water and the ones which are healthy will go down and which are not healthy will float on the water.

I have tried to grow the plant from the chillies from Mumbai market and was successful.

Regards,

Mani.

Rashida Atthar

Aug 3, 2010, 6:17:22 AM8/3/10
to mani nair, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Wow Mani ji you are a store- house of practical knowledge and tips ! Thanks Sushmita ji and Mani ji, I too am motivated to try  growing chilies now at home !

regards,
Rashida.

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 6:23:04 AM8/3/10
to Rashida Atthar, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Thanks Rashida ji,   Since childhood whenever I got the seeds of any fruits or vegetables I used to put in soil and observed its growth until flowering and fruiting.  Chillis and tomatoes were one of my favorite as they do not require any special care and flowered early.

Regards,

Mani.

Rashida Atthar

Aug 3, 2010, 6:39:47 AM8/3/10
to mani nair, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Good to know this. Now the group is enriched by your experience. !

regards,
Rashida.

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 6:41:56 AM8/3/10
to Rashida Atthar, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Thanks Rashida ji, you all are welcome.

Mani.

Sushmita Jha

Aug 3, 2010, 6:56:13 AM8/3/10
to mani nair, Rashida Atthar, ajinkya gadave, indiantreepix
Thank you all, particularly Mr Mani, for their very enriching conversation and advice. I will most certainly stored all of this in my hard disk!
Regards,
Sushmita

nabha meghani

Aug 3, 2010, 7:10:15 AM8/3/10
to mani nair, Rashida Atthar, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Mani ji,
i have problems with growing koriander, Dhania-seeds either dont germinate or don't grow.
What should i do?
Regards
Nalini

shubhada nikharge

Aug 3, 2010, 10:42:21 PM8/3/10
to mani nair, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Dear Sushmita,
My friend too has grown chilli plants from dried chilli pods and keeping the seeds in sunlight and has been using chilies from the same plants in the kitchen.
But i did not know how to chk healthy and unhealthy seeds. Mani ji, thank u very much for the tip.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Aug 4, 2010, 1:55:02 AM8/4/10
to shubhada nikharge, mani nair, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
shubhada jee
very simple  u can use floating test for healthy and unhealthy seeds.take small pot or bowl with full of water and put all the seeds in it  seeds float if they're no good, and good seeds sink. very simple
thanks
330.gif

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 4, 2010, 2:07:44 AM8/4/10
to shubhada nikharge, mani nair, ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Mani, I feel the biggest problem in growing hybrid seeds, especially of petunia and marigold. Sometimes the germination is zero. I have become so disgusted that I have started buying saplings from the nursery and stopped using the seeds which are available with shops. They do belong to reputed comapanies.
ak

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:12 AM, shubhada nikharge <shubhada...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Sushmita Jha

Aug 4, 2010, 2:34:38 AM8/4/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, shubhada nikharge, mani nair, ajinkya gadave, indiantreepix
I usually collect seeds from my flowers for the next season. For the last few years, for most hybrid varieties the seed yield is zero. A good strategy to ensure revenue flow for businesses who not only propagate and enable gardening, but also exploit nature to keep their bottomlines healthy!
I too have started buying saplings - from government nurseries. I find private nurseries usually sell hybrid varieties as the 'value addition' (healthier, sturdier plants and a wide range of colors and combinations) to the garden lover is a big value-add to them too!

mani nair

Aug 4, 2010, 3:05:06 AM8/4/10
to ajinkya gadave, shubhada nikharge, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Nalini ji,  I recommend  to  use the seeds from nurseries instead of using the seeds  which we use to make curry powder, because the seeds are not fully ripe and will not germinate often.  Dry the seeds in sun before sowing.  There are two seeds in one fruit. Germination can be improved by rubbing the fruits until the 2 seeds separate.    Sow the seperated seeds directly into pot containing soil mixed with manure as the seedlings do not transplant well.   Water once in two days if your area is not too dry like in Mumbai.  The seeds will germinate within 10 days in cold soil and 5 days in tropics.  No need of transplanting. After germination of seeds keep the pot in low light area and after the seedlings are mature then only give them full light.  You can start using the leaves within two months.   After cutting the leaves new leaves start appearing.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Mani.
330.gif

Yazdy Palia

Aug 4, 2010, 11:26:56 AM8/4/10
to mani nair, ajinkya gadave, shubhada nikharge, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
hello friends,
Sometimes you have ants invading and making the seeds hollow. They even carry away the seeds especially of chillies. You got to make sure that they are protected from ants. One way is hang a basket with topsoil and dry cow dung or dry leaves crushed, keep it moist and the seeds will sprout when they are around 3 to 4" in height you could transplant them.
Regards
Yazdy.
330.gif

nabha meghani

Aug 5, 2010, 5:56:25 AM8/5/10
to mani nair, ajinkya gadave, shubhada nikharge, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Thanks Mani ji,
i don't have a nursery here selling seeds of koriander, just used the Masala- Ones. Now waiting for them to germinate (hopefully). Why is currypowder-seeds are not good are they treated somhow?
Anyway, will wait to see what happens.
Thanks again
Regards
Nalini