Sonchus arvensis from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 24, 2010, 4:52:34 AM2/24/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Another reference to Sonchus is photographs uploaded by Suresh C. Sharma.

this was identified by Garg ji as S. oleraeous and appears as such in the database. To me this looks like S. arvensis. I am uploading the photographs of Sonchus arvensis

Date/Time- January 12, 9 a m

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Herbal Garden Garden, Rajouri Garden, Delhi 213 asl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-  Waste places

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Perennial her

Height/Length- upto 1.5 m tall

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- basal rossete, upper alternate, pinnately lobed

Inflorescence Type/ Size- Ligulate capitulum, on long peduncle

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- Head about 2.5 cm across, involucre bracts glandular hairy

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- Cypsella, dark brown, pappus hairs white.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/