Creeper for ID : 120511 : AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

May 12, 2011, 3:19:35 AM5/12/11
to efloraofindia
Taken at Maharashtra Nature Park, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
First picture taken on the 12th of Feb, 2011, the next two on 26th
March,2011 and the pods on 6th of April.
Aarti
DSCN0641.JPG
DSCN1665.JPG
DSCN1666.JPG
DSCN1756-pods.JPG

Neil Soares

May 12, 2011, 3:32:56 AM5/12/11
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Hi,
 This looks like Operculina turpethum.
                    Regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2011, 3:33:36 AM5/12/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
... the Indian jalap ... Operculina turpethum.
Sometimes, as now, the sepal cup looks less wide than normal and my mind starts thinking about the hogvine, Merremia umbellata.
Some visual clue to easily separate the two species ?

Regards.
Dinesh

prasad dash

May 12, 2011, 3:34:07 AM5/12/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Operculina turpethum from me too

Regards

Prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Aarti S. Khale

May 12, 2011, 4:12:23 AM5/12/11
to prasad dash, Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear all,
Thanks for the id.
As Dinesh ji says...although the flowers were similar looking, I found
two type of leaves on the different creepers, one smaller is size.
Aarti

On 5/12/11, prasad dash <prasad....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Operculina turpethum from me too
>
> Regards
>
> Prasad
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> This looks like Operculina turpethum.
>> Regards,
>> Neil Soares.

Pardeshi S.

May 12, 2011, 8:44:53 AM5/12/11
to efloraofindia
Hello Aarti ji
the leaves of O. turphetum are very varaible even in same plant.

Operculina turpethum (L.) Manso. Subst. Bras. 16, 1836; Cooke, Fl.
Pres. Bombay 2: 309, 1958 (Repr.); Almeida, Fl. Mah. 3: 344, 2001;
Singh et al, Fl. Mah. St. 2: 479, 2001; Pradhan et al, Fl. SGNP 418,
2005.
Synonyms: Convolvulus turpethum L. Sp. Pl. 155, 1753. Merremia
turpethum (L.) Shah & Bhatt, Fl. Gujarat 460, 1978. C. anceps L. Mant.
1: 48, 1767. Ipomoea turpethus (L.) R. Br., Prodr. Nov. Holl. 1: 435,
1810.
Common names: Nisothar, Dudhkalmi.
leaves variable, orbicular, ovate, linear-lanceolate, oblong or
triangular, acuminate or mucronate, base broad, truncate, cordate or
sagittate, margin undulate, sometimes 3-5 lobed.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On May 12, 12:33 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... the Indian jalap ... *Operculina turpethum*.
> Sometimes, as now, the sepal cup looks less wide than normal and my mind
> starts thinking about the hogvine, *Merremia umbellata*.
> Some visual clue to easily separate the two species ?
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh

shrikant ingalhalikar

May 12, 2011, 9:14:19 AM5/12/11
to efloraofindia
Dineshji, Operculina turpethum has winged stem, the leaves are ovate
and bigger and petioles are longer. Merremia umbellata has un-winged
stem, oblong and smaller leaves and short petioles. Regards, Shrikant

On May 12, 12:33 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... the Indian jalap ... *Operculina turpethum*.
> Sometimes, as now, the sepal cup looks less wide than normal and my mind
> starts thinking about the hogvine, *Merremia umbellata*.
> Some visual clue to easily separate the two species ?
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti.kh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Taken at Maharashtra Nature Park, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
> > First picture taken on the 12th of Feb, 2011, the next two on 26th
> > March,2011 and the pods on 6th of April.
> > Aarti- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2011, 9:27:51 AM5/12/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Shrikant ji for the differentiation.
It helped me.
Regards.
Dinesh.

Aarti S. Khale

May 12, 2011, 10:20:58 AM5/12/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Satish ji, Shrikant ji and Dinesh ji,
Thanks for the id and additional information.
Regards,
Aarti

On May 12, 5:14 pm, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com>