ID request - 05072011PC1

chitralekha P

Jul 5, 2011, 1:23:34 AM7/5/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Please identify this common shade plant. Shrub and succulent.
Regards,
Chitralekha
008.JPG

amit chauhan

Jul 5, 2011, 1:27:24 AM7/5/11
to chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is Portulacaria afra

regards

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

ajinkya gadave

Jul 5, 2011, 1:36:48 AM7/5/11
to amit chauhan, chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
amit jee this  is not Portulacaria afra this is

Jade Plant (Crassula ovata)

amit chauhan

Jul 5, 2011, 1:40:32 AM7/5/11
to ajinkya gadave, chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ajinkya ji I think Crassula ovata is different plant please recheck.

regards

ajinkya gadave

Jul 5, 2011, 1:44:56 AM7/5/11
to amit chauhan, chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
yes amit jee
thanks for correction this is portulacaria afra

Chitralekha

Jul 5, 2011, 2:17:21 AM7/5/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Amitji and Ajinkyaji.

Chitralekha
>  008.JPG
> 319KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

Jul 6, 2011, 2:13:16 AM7/6/11
to chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Portulacaria afra
Native of South Africa. In nature can grow tall to 10-12 feet.
Family : Portulacaceae.
Satish Phadke

Ushadi micromini

Jul 8, 2011, 1:48:57 AM7/8/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All: I know this plant as dawrf / miniature Jade plant..
NOT RELATED BOTANICALLY to the "real" jade plant...

Both make nice Bonsai habits, there in lies the rub... confusion...
but look closely and the differential diagnosis is not so difficult...
the bark is distinctly different and internodes etc etc...
And if you the flowers once will never forget them...
Crassula ovata puts on a spectacular show of masses of white flowers
on green peduncles
and the
Portulacaria afra gets sparse small pink flowers on pink peduncles .

Univ of Hawaii has nice pictures
http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/?q=100803-8611&o=plants
and http://www.hear.org/starr/images/search/?q=crassula+ovata&o=plants.

SO dawrf jade plant is : ** Portulacaria afra , Family:
Portulaceae .
and the "real" Jade plant is : ** Crassula ovata , Family:
Crassulaceae
Thanks for showing this plant..
Usha di
=====