Swamy/New series/ID/12 - ID of the Plant, Chennai.

M Swamy

May 18, 2021, 8:12:38 AM5/18/21
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Kindly Id the plant photographs received from a friend in Chennai.  Photographed yesterday.  I understand it is a  bonsoi  plant.

IMG-20210518-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20210518-WA0019.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

May 21, 2021, 10:16:06 AM5/21/21
to efloraofindia
Might be Burseraceae,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 05/21/21, 07:43:20 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 17:42, M Swamy <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear friends,
Kindly Id the plant photographs received from a friend in Chennai.  Photographed yesterday.  I understand it is a  bonsoi  plant.

Mahadeswara

May 22, 2021, 12:04:43 AM5/22/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Anjaneyulu ji.  I was thinking it could be a    Commiphora  species  (Burseraceae) .  Meanwhile you suggested the family.  I will try to work on it.

M Swamy

May 22, 2021, 7:49:36 AM5/22/21
to efloraofindia
Sending h/w two more photos received.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/7a38e5c4-4560-4ef9-b847-3e2eac6b063bn%40googlegroups.com.
Commiphora (2).jpg
Commiphora (1).jpg

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2021, 6:43:33 AM5/29/21
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, Paradesi Anjaneyulu

J.M. Garg

May 29, 2021, 8:00:56 AM5/29/21
to efloraofindia

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

May 29, 2021, 12:04:33 PM5/29/21
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
I was following this thread. I want to know a thing or two about bonsai :-
  1. does their stunted growth deform them?
  2. do leaves retain their characters?
  3. flowers and fruits should remain as in normal species, since they are sexual organs - isn't it?
Flowers in this species seem to have staminal tube - so why not check for meliaceae member, for example - https://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20p?see=I_SP512&res=640 ?

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

crop_IMG-20210518-WA0018.jpg

Mahadeswara

May 29, 2021, 11:37:32 PM5/29/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks for taking interest in this thread to unravel its identity .Regarding your queries,
1. No. the stunted growth does not deform the plant but it  manifest  in miniature forms.
2. Sure.
3. Yes they remain in normal form.
Meanwhile I am asking the sender of these photographs  to allow the plant to grow on its own without clipping the plant parts. Let us see what happens.
Regards,
Dr.Mahadeswara Swamy

surajit koley

May 30, 2021, 1:54:41 AM5/30/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks, Sir ji, for providing answers to my queries.
I apologize for using politically incorrect words - it would be "reproductive organs", in place of "sexual organs".

However, your answers no. 1 & 2 imply -  this species wouldn't be a Meliaceae member, because they mostly have pinnate leaves with entire margins of leaflets.

Please do not waste your time on Meliaceae.

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

surajit koley

May 30, 2021, 1:56:33 AM5/30/21
to Mahadeswara, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, efloraofindia

Mahadeswara

May 30, 2021, 11:24:53 PM5/30/21
to efloraofindia
Dear  Master  ji,
  I think you are a very sensitive person.There is no necessity to apologize.   It is not justified.  You have used only a synonym.  Nothing else.  Your suggestions / remarks based on in -depth study are  very valuable for the group.  Nevertheless I value your feelings.
With best wishes,

surajit koley

May 31, 2021, 12:02:39 AM5/31/21
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Good morning, Sir ji.
And thank you very much for those encouraging feedbacks.

I have another suggestion, if I may - please think of it before any search or allotting your time to it -
what about probability of a rutaceae member? (since I think some of those flowers also look similar, and they are used for bonsai, and the flower colour in your species is actually greenish-white, not yellow.! And also take care of those green-turning-orange fruit in your pic no MG-20210518-WA0018).

I still cannot get rid of meliaceae though! Just check some fruit pics -

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2021, 3:25:57 AM6/6/21
to efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, M Swamy, surajitkoley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Might be Burseraceae- from Paradesi ji

Thanks a lot Anjaneyulu ji.  I was thinking it could be a    Commiphora  species  (Burseraceae) .  Meanwhile you suggested the family.  I will try to work on it.- from Mahadeswara ji

Sending h/w two more photos received. - from Mahadeswara ji

Could not find a match with other species listed in Flora of Peninsular India (namely Commiphora berryiCommiphora caudata var. caudataCommiphora caudata var. pubescensCommiphora gileadensisCommiphora myrrhaCommiphora stocksiana, Commiphora wightii)- from me

[...]

What about the probability of a rutaceae member? (since I think some of those flowers also look similar, and they are used for bonsai, and the flower colour in your species is actually greenish-white, not yellow.! And also take care of those green-turning-orange fruit in your pic no MG-20210518-WA0018).

I still cannot get rid of meliaceae though! Just check some fruit pics -

Thank you
With regards

surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg
IMG-20210518-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20210518-WA0019.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 6, 2021, 10:28:48 AM6/6/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, M Swamy
I have this one in my mind and I will inform when I would be ready to give up!
Meanwhile another guess  https://www.kew.org/science/tropamerica/neotropikey/families/Symplocaceae.htm (please scroll down to bottom to see the last picture).
But the problem is fruits are different in Symplocos, at best I could do is - https://www.morphosource.org/concern/biological_specimens/000S24715?locale=en

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

Mahadeswara

Jun 7, 2021, 12:13:00 AM6/7/21
to efloraofindia
Many many thanks for  going deep into the subject to find it's ID.  Wait for your final ID.