[efloraofindia:35338] Pls help ID this shrub from Munnar environs

A.Sinha

May 19, 2010, 2:25:50 PM5/19/10
to indiantreepix
Friends
Pls help ID this shrub,  photographed near Munnar, flowering in  in April
A.Sinha

UrbanFlora-1.JPG

R. Vijayasankar

May 19, 2010, 9:17:59 PM5/19/10
to A.Sinha, indiantreepix
Looks like Rhodomyrtus tomentosus to me.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Tabish

May 19, 2010, 9:54:52 PM5/19/10
to efloraofindia
I will go with Vijayasankar - this is Rose Myrtle:
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=5390109
- Tabish

On May 20, 6:17 am, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Looks like *Rhodomyrtus tomentosus *to me.
>
> With regards
>
> R. Vijayasankar
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM, A.Sinha <sinha.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Friends
> > Pls help ID this shrub,  photographed near Munnar, flowering in  in April
> > A.Sinha
>
> > --

tanay bose

May 20, 2010, 6:49:04 AM5/20/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Rhodomyrtus tomentosus undoubtedly
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

A.Sinha

May 23, 2010, 9:03:43 AM5/23/10
to vijay.botan...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Vijay-ji, Tabish,  Tanay,

Thanks for the ID and confirmation.
Form the many photographs on the site linked by Tabish, it certainly matches
Tamil Name: Thavutte

A. Sinha

Some more interesting info about this  Shola-shrub:

tavutte, hill gooseberry (Rhodomyrtus tomentosa), shrubs were plentiful along the trek. When tavutte fruits in October-January, there will be no need to pack any food; for they are as delicious as they are filling.
From  "The Hindu"

The Hindu Business Line : Stairway to heaven, up the blue mountain

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 1:38:12 PM5/23/10
to A.Sinha, vijay.botan...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Welcome Sinha Ji
Tanay

JM Garg

Sep 15, 2024, 11:02:46 AMSep 15
to efloraofindia, greenearth
Rhodomyrtus tomentosa var. parviflora (Alston) A. J. Scott. as per distribution given is POWO (one and two)
UrbanFlora-1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Sep 16, 2024, 12:25:49 AMSep 16
to efloraofindia, greenearth