Semecarpus anacardium L. [Anacardiaceae]

Muthu Karthick

Jul 27, 2010, 1:48:25 AM7/27/10
to indiantreepix
Name: Semecarpus anacardium L.
Family: Anacardiaceae
Location: Sathyamangalam Forest Division
Date: 12 Nov 2008
Tamil name: Seraangottai, Saenkottai, Ghaer

Edibility: I relished this fresh ripe sweet (false) fruit; local people consume the fully ripen fruits

The acidic nature of this fruit is used for healing wounds, (mostly inflammatory) locally at Sathyamangalam forest division.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Rakesh Biswas

Jul 27, 2010, 1:58:08 AM7/27/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Thanks Muthu Ji,

This was a real learning experience for me on its edibility. Google searching till now couldn't provide me the information on what it would be like to actually eat and taste it.

But now the same query for some one else can be answered throgh google via efloraindia/indiantreepix.

:-)

Muthu Karthick

Jul 27, 2010, 6:07:31 AM7/27/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Warm welcome Rakeshji,
The Gaer name is of Kannada origin. The collection location is closer to Karnataka, specially along Biligiri Rangan Temple WLS

Muthu Karthick

Jul 27, 2010, 6:12:16 AM7/27/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Could this be any variety of the species?

tanay bose

Jul 27, 2010, 8:06:49 AM7/27/10
to Muthu Karthick, Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Lovely catch muthu of the ripe fruits
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

josna john

Jul 28, 2010, 12:57:10 PM7/28/10
to Muthu Karthick, Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Dear sir, Semecarpus anacardium is one of the main drugs in the
ayurvedic medicinal system! The sanskrit name for the drug is
BHALLATHAKA, and also carries the synonymn ARUSHKARA. It is an
anticancerous drug and can also work against good in the case of
leukoderma. It also pocess both vachikarana and rasayana properties!

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 1:22:57 PM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the info Mr/Ms. Josna....sorry I dont know your gender.
I never knew that there were synonyms of drug names too :)).....
I wanted to know where you found that information from, just in case
its from your own expertise, then I would request you to please get me
some information on the ayurvedic preparation of Rasana....
For long I had been thinking it to be an Orchid called Vanda
tessellata following various literatures but recently one of my
friends here in the group told us about other plant with the same
name.
I would be grateful for your help.
Regards
Pankaj