Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell

OZmic

May 18, 2012, 6:14:10 AM5/18/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Pankaj Kumar took me by surprise. He looked at a page that had no Indian names.
I have had to update this page quickly (therefore not so well). Here are the results. Please send plenty of feedback. I'll post a full set of ref. at some point. The main basic one (without any scripted names) usually with all the names in various forms is ENVIS  Frlht  Environmental Information System [3].
ASSAMESE :  ব্ৰাহ্মী  Brahmi [3] [30] [31].
BENGALI :  ব্রাদ্রমী শাক   Brādramī śāka [MHP], ব্রাহ্মী শাক   Brāhmi śāk [MHP], Brahmi-sak [3] [31] , Barmi shak [3].

ENGLISH : Bacopa, Brain plant, Coastal waterhyssop, Coastal water hyssop [1], Herb of grace (HoC), Indian-pennywort [1] [31] (HoC), Moneywort,  Monnier's bacopa,  Thyme-leaved graticula (Pankaj Oudhia), , Water hyssop (Dr. Duke) (HoC), White hyssop.

GUJARATI :  Jalanevari, Jalbrahmi.
HINDI : Adha birni (Rehm), Baam [3], Barami,  ब्राह्मी Brahmi [MHP] [31] [VS], ब्राह्मी जड़ी बूटी  Brāhmī jaṛī būṭī [29H] , Brambhiv, Jalbuti [3], Jalnim [3], Nirbraini [3], Mandukaparni (HoC), Pan brahmi [3], Safed chamni (Rehm).

KANNADA :  Brahmi [3] [31], Jalabrahmi [3] [31], Nirbrahmi , Neer brahmi [3].

MALAYALAM : Barna, ബ്രഹ്മി [28] [29M], Brahmi [27] [MHP], Nirbrahmi [3].

MARATHI : Ghola, Brahmi.

NEPALESE :  मेधा गिरी  Medha giree.

SANSKRIT :  Adha-birni (Rehm),  Aindri [3], Brahmi [3], Gundala [1] [3] [31], Indravalli [1] [3] [31], Jalasaya [1] [3] [31], Jala brahmi, Nira-brahmi.

TAMIL : Neer brahmi, நீர்ப்pராமி Nirbrahmi [31], நீர்ப்பிரமி [MHP] Niirpirami [MHP], Nirabradhmi, Nirpirami, பிரமி [MHP] Pirami [MHP].

TELUGU :   Neeri sambraani mokka [3] [31], Sambraanichettu [3], Sambrani chettu [3] [31], Sambrareni aaku [3], Saraswathi aku.

URDU :  Brahmisak (Pakistan).

Names above are mostly reliable when in original script. Names with reference numbers are also reliable, the more ref. the better. Names which should have a scripted match but don't, and have no ref. number are only there to encourage further searches for reliable scripted names.

"Brahmi" is applied to Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. in Northern and Western India but defines Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell in Kerala (Southern India). (ref. McGuffin et al. 2000)

"Mandukaparni" applies to Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell in Northern and Western India but defines Centella asiatica (L.) Urb. in Kerala. (ref. McGuffin et al. 2000).

It is stated on the  Maharishi Ayurveda site : "Two main herbs (Herpestis Monniera, Bacopa Monnieri ) go by the name of Brahmi in the ancient Ayurvedic texts. Some experts from The Council of Maharishi Ayurveda Physicians feel that Herpestis Monniera is more authentic and is preferable for mental benefits except where urinary flow, purification, and immunomodulation is desired by the physician.
The other herb that commonly goes by this name is more popularly known in the U.S. as Gotu-Kola, or Centella asiatica, called Mandukaparni. "

Unfortunately modern scientists have lumped both plants (Herpestis monniera and  Bacopa monnieri), if ever there were 2 distinctive plants involved, in the same bag -  i.e. they are considered as synonyms.

mani nair

May 18, 2012, 7:08:36 AM5/18/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have a plant growing in our balcony. The leaves are very good for
memory. I will upload a photo soon.
Regards,
Mani

On 5/18/12, OZmic <m.por...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> [...]
> there to encourage further searches for reliable scripted names.*
>
> "Brahmi" is applied to *Centella
> asiatica<http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Centella.html#asiatica>
> * (L.)
> Urb.<http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Centella.html#asiatica>in
> Northern and Western India but defines
> *Bacopa monnieri *(L.) Pennell in Kerala (Southern India). (ref. McGuffin
> et al. 2000)
>
> "Mandukaparni" applies to *Bacopa monnieri *(L.) Pennell in Northern and
> Western India but defines *Centella
> asiatica<http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Centella.html#asiatica>
> * (L.)
> Urb.<http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Centella.html#asiatica>in
> Kerala. (ref. McGuffin et al. 2000).
>

> * *It is stated on the Maharishi Ayurveda site : "Two main herbs

ushadi Micromini

May 18, 2012, 7:27:24 AM5/18/12
to OZmic, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mic in case you wanted to add:

Bacopa monnieri:

gujarati:       બ્રાહ્મી  brahmi  નીરબ્રાહ્મી  neer-brahmi

Bengali:      ব্রাহ্মী brahmi,

বির্মীশাক birmishak  উঘ্রাবির্মী ughrabirmi , অঘবীণী  ãghabini

Centella asiatica:

gujarati:   બ્રાહ્મી  brahmi,  ખડબ્રામી     khadabrahmi

Bengali:  ব্রাহ্মী  brahmi,  থানকুণী পাতা  thankuni pata

   Usha di\

=====

--
Usha di

OZmic

May 18, 2012, 3:13:40 PM5/18/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, OZmic
Yes Usha di of course I'll add those. Delighted to. I hope others will feed names in other languages. This is what the whole internet community is begging for, not just myself. Thank you very much. Mic