Manga Kai / Kaare kai - used to lure fish on the water surface

raghu ananth

Apr 1, 2010, 9:19:22 AM4/1/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Common emetic Nut
Telugu: Manga Kai (Chettu ),
Kannada: Kare fruit, used to lure fish on the water surface
Tamil: Madu Karei
Marati Mainhpur
Habitat: Eastern ghats - foot hills,
Botanical: Randai spinosa, Family: Rubiaceae (As per forest flora of andhra pradesh)

Mamandur, near tirupati, ( Recall -Mamandur man eater by Kenneth Anderson a pioneer of wildlife conservation in southern India, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Anderson_(writer) )
Andhra Pradesh, 27 Mar 2010,

/* On fishing practices using kaare fruit, near sakaleshpur and kukke, Karnataka

In the Western Ghats, during summer, the river water starts to recede and in some of the shallow pools beneath rocks and crevices many kinds of fishes still struggle to survive - waiting for the next monsoon.

People have learnt to to catch these fishes. Kaare fruits are properly beaten up with the help of stones and the mix is left to soak in the pool waters till it comes to a rich foam. After about five minutes, the fishes turn up on the surface belly-up. People then catch and take them home for a feast.

In Mamandur, two of the senior forest officials, when asked, explained "Before the wild life protection act -1979 came into practice, when they tried the above in a shallow pool, a large sized python came belly-up onto the surface and managed to escape into the forest !

Wonder what reaction this fruit causes on fishes - probably induces a severe itching or perhaps the poison reduces oxygen, makes it difficult for them to breathe.

These days fish, frog habitats are under severe threat from human activities - over fishing, dams, pesticides etc

Regards
Raghu

"There's no place like the wilds for peace and contentment"

DSC_0527a.jpg
DSC_0523a.jpg
DSC_0523b.jpg
DSC_0524a.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 1, 2010, 9:41:18 AM4/1/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear raghu ji,
Thank you for sharing this fact with us ..... i did not knew about this previously !! thankyou.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Neil Soares

Apr 1, 2010, 11:26:14 AM4/1/10
to raghu ananth, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raghu,
  It is now called Catunaregam spinosa [Randia dumetorum / Randia spinosa]. The local name is Ghela.
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 1, 2010, 2:45:46 PM4/1/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raghu ji,

  Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is used as fish poison in many parts of the world. Thats why its one of the common names is Fish Poison plant/bush. Here is Google link showing its worldwide use.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=randia+%22Fish+poison%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=a2bb30ecf4f91972

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Pankaj Oudhia

Apr 2, 2010, 1:24:41 AM4/2/10
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
Thanks Raghu ji for your support.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Dr. Oudhia,

I found the link on Fish Poison plant has wealth of information and very interesting. One of your  article on Mainphal (Randia dumetorum, family Rubiaceae) has good info on the medicinal practices and on traditional healers. These kind of surveys, gathering information and mainly documenting - is a commendable job. I hope it gives a immense satisfaction at least to ourselves.

I liked the way Ayurveda describes some of the common use of the plant ..

"According to Ayurveda, Mainphal is bitter, sweet, heating, aphrodisiac, emetic, antipyretic, carminative, alexiteric and cures abscesses, ulcers, inflammations, tumours, skin-diseases, piles etc."

Thanks for sharing / Regards
Raghu

Apr 2, 2010, 8:06:58 AM4/2/10
to Neil Soares, raghu ananth, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Yes, it is called 'Gella' 'गेळा' or 'Gellphall' 'गेळफळ' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

raghu ananth

Feb 10, 2012, 3:15:09 AM2/10/12
to indiantreepix
/* On fishing practices using kaare fruit, near sakaleshpur and kukke, Karnataka

In the Western Ghats, during summer, the river water starts to recede and in some of the shallow pools beneath rocks and crevices many kinds of fishes still struggle to survive - waiting for the next monsoon.

People have learnt to catch these fishes. Kaare fruits are properly beaten up with the help of stones and the mix is left to soak in the pool waters until it comes to a rich foam. After about five minutes, the fishes turn up on the surface belly-up. People then catch and take them home for a feast.

In Mamandur, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh two of the senior forest officials, when asked, explained, "Before the wild life protection act -1979 came into practice, when they tried the above in a shallow pool, a large sized python came belly-up onto the surface and managed to escape into the forest!

Wonder what reaction this fruit causes on fishes - probably induces a severe itching or perhaps the poison reduces oxygen, makes it difficult for them to breathe.

Common emetic Nut
Telugu: Manga Kai (Chettu ),
Kannada: Kare fruit, used to lure fish on the water surface
Tamil: Madu Karei
Marati Ghela
Habitat: Eastern Ghats - foothills,
Botanical: Randai spinosa, Family: Rubiaceae (As per forest flora of Andhra Pradesh)
Catunaregam spinosa [Randia dumetorum / Randia spinosa].

Mamandur, near Thirupati, (Recall -Mamandur man-eater by Kenneth Andersona pioneer of wildlife conservation in southern Indiahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Anderson_ (writer) )
Andhra Pradesh, 27 Mar 2010,
DSC_0527a.jpg
DSC_0523a.jpg