Origanum vulgare from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 15, 2010, 9:27:20 PM8/15/10
to efloraofindia
Origanum vulgare L. from Kashmir, very common on dry mountain slopes, photographed from Mohra near Uri on June 24, 2010.

Common names
English: Oregano, Wild marjoran
Hindi: Sathra
Tel: Mridumaruvamu
Kan: Maruga
Punjab: Mirzanjosh

Used for flavouring in the same way as Marjoram; also veged as vegetable. Also yields Origanum oil used in medicine, as also in cosmetics and soaps.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Origanum-vulgare-Kashmir-a.jpg
Origanum-vulgare-Kashmir-c.jpg
Origanum-vulgare-Kashmir-b.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 15, 2010, 10:56:41 PM8/15/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
A new plant for me
Thanks Sir ji
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 16, 2010, 1:59:46 AM8/16/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji for nice pictures. In Homoeopathy it is valuable medicine. It is one of the rare drugs which helps young boys to get rid from habit of masturbation and specially helpful in treatment of bad consequences of its excess.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 16, 2010, 5:18:53 AM8/16/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Nice information Pankaj ji, no wonder Pizza eating is so popular, and with oregano sprinkling

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Nayan Singh

Aug 16, 2010, 9:59:17 AM8/16/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan Singh ji,
Recently I visited, some area in higher altitude of Uttarakhand Himalaya, took some pics, I think my this pic is your Origanum vulgare. Please confirm or id otherwise.
thanks & regards
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Aug 16, 2010, 10:39:52 AM8/16/10
to Nayan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes Nayan ji it is
You wouldn't have missed the oregano fragrance if had visited the area in August-September when it reaches fruiting stage.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089