Capparis in Jijamata Udyan

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

unread,
Feb 10, 2011, 11:38:11 PM2/10/11
to indiantreepix
Capparis once again in the focus. Large shrub or small tree 2 m tall. Leaves 3-6 cm, elliptic, acute, cuneate; petioles 3 mm. Flowers axillary, 3-5 cm. Fruits not seen. Flowering in Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on 10 Feb. 2011. ID leads to C. brevispina DC. as per Flora of Maharashtra BSI. Pls validate. Regards,

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
Capparis.jpg

Balkar Arya

unread,
Feb 11, 2011, 2:29:11 AM2/11/11
to le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
What a gorgeous catch
Thanks Shrikant Ji for sharing


--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

hari lal

unread,
Feb 11, 2011, 11:04:00 AM2/11/11
to Balkar Arya, le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
nice capturing sir
hari shankar lal

Balkar Arya

unread,
Feb 12, 2011, 3:50:08 AM2/12/11
to hari lal, le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
Thanks Hari ji

shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Feb 17, 2011, 8:15:12 PM2/17/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All

Request once again to validate the ID. Incidently the ID validation of
another two plants (Cordyline fruticosa and Sterculia villosa) from
Vir Jijamata Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai remains still buried under humus of
comments. Regards, Shrikant

On Feb 11, 9:38 am, "Shrikant Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
wrote:
> Capparis once again in the focus. Large shrub or small tree 2 m tall. Leaves 3-6 cm, elliptic, acute, cuneate; petioles 3 mm. Flowers axillary, 3-5 cm. Fruits not seen. Flowering in Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on 10 Feb. 2011. ID leads to C. brevispina DC. as per Flora of Maharashtra BSI. Pls validate. Regards,Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel91 20 2435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
>  Capparis.jpg
> 260KViewDownload

Vijayasankar

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 12:42:31 AM2/18/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I think it is Capparis rheedii. A common element of the tropical dry evergreen forests in TN.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/
 
Regards 
 
Vijayasankar Raman
National Center for Natural Products Research
University of Mississippi

Smilax004

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 1:23:29 AM2/18/11
to efloraofindia
I too think it is Capparis rheedii Syn. C.heyneana and C. baducca
(ref. T.S. Nayar (2006) and N. Sasidharan (2004). This plant is
endemic to the Western Ghats.

There was a thread in eflora of India on C. rheedii during Oct 2010.


Regards
Giby


On Feb 18, 10:42 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is *Capparis rheedii*. A common element of the tropical dry
> evergreen forests in TN.http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > wrote:
> > Dear All
>
> > Request once again to validate the ID. Incidently the ID validation of
> > another two plants (Cordyline fruticosa and Sterculia villosa) from
> > Vir Jijamata Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai remains still buried under humus of
> > comments. Regards, Shrikant
>
> > On Feb 11, 9:38 am, "Shrikant  Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Capparis once again in the focus. Large shrub or small tree 2 m tall.
> > Leaves 3-6 cm, elliptic, acute, cuneate; petioles 3 mm. Flowers axillary,
> > 3-5 cm. Fruits not seen. Flowering in Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on 10 Feb.
> > 2011. ID leads to C. brevispina DC. as per Flora of Maharashtra BSI. Pls
> > validate. Regards,Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar
> > Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel9120 2435 0765.Fax 91 20
> > 2438 9190.
>
> > >  Capparis.jpg
> > > 260KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 1:26:28 AM2/18/11
to Vijayasankar, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Capparis sp. at Jijabai Udyan

... must admit that my ID at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/ is based on Google and flickr photo-search results.
At FOI we have Aarti ji's photo of the plant found in the same garden ... and it could be the same that me and Shrikant ji have found.

While arriving to ID of Capparis rheedii, had not given a thought to C. brevispina, because it is found mentioned as a synonym of C. zeylanica ... ... hopefully my plant gets validated too.

Regards.
Dinesh.

Vijayasankar

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 2:28:27 AM2/18/11
to Dinesh Valke, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
So far I was thinking the plant (same as the picture posted by Shrikant ji, and Dinesh ji's pics in flickr), which i saw in TDEF along east coast as C. rheedii. When Giby said 'it is endemic to W.Ghats', i realized there is something wrong with my id. My plant can not be C.rheedii then. Now I verified with the Floras by Gamble and Matthew. The descriptions (as well as distribution) match well with C. brevispina, as also identified by Shrikant ji.

Thank you all. I wish also to see pictures of C.rheedii to compare with.
 
Thanks & Regards 
 
Vijayasankar Raman
National Center for Natural Products Research
University of Mississippi



Dinesh Valke

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 3:19:39 AM2/18/11
to Vijayasankar, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Being familiar with Capparis zeylanica ... some views from various locations around Thane in my photostream ... http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Cappariszeylanica&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags
Now, it becomes difficult for me to think that the plant posted is Capparis brevispina (because it is synonym of Capparis zeylanica).
OR am mistaking somewhere.

Shrikant ji, are there some features in the plant posted, which you think are not in favour of C. rheedii ?

shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 3:19:43 AM2/18/11
to efloraofindia
Sorry, do not know how to post a picture in this thread. Pls see a new
thread for the plant that I know as C. rheedei, endemic to W ghats.

On Feb 18, 12:28 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far I was thinking the plant (same as the picture posted by Shrikant ji,
> and Dinesh ji's pics in flickr), which i saw in TDEF along east coast as C.
> rheedii. When Giby said 'it is endemic to W.Ghats', i realized there is
> something wrong with my id. My plant can not be C.rheedii then. Now I
> verified with the Floras by Gamble and Matthew. The descriptions (as well as
> distribution) match well with C. brevispina, as also identified by Shrikant
> ji.
>
> Thank you all. I wish also to see pictures of C.rheedii to compare with.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
> > *Capparis* sp. at Jijabai Udyan
>
> > ... must admit that my ID at
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/is
> > based on Google and flickr photo-search results.
> > At FOI we have Aarti ji's photo of the plant found in the same garden ...
> > and it could be the same that me and Shrikant ji have found.
>
> > While arriving to ID of *Capparis rheedii*, had not given a thought to *C.
> > brevispina*, because it is found mentioned as a synonym of *C. zeylanica*... ... hopefully my plant gets validated too.
>
> > Regards.
> > Dinesh.
>
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> I think it is *Capparis rheedii*. A common element of the tropical dry
> >> evergreen forests in TN.
> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/
>
> >> Regards
>
> >> Vijayasankar Raman
> >> National Center for Natural Products Research
> >> University of Mississippi
>
> >> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM, shrikant ingalhalikar <
> >> le...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>> Dear All
>
> >>> Request once again to validate the ID. Incidently the ID validation of
> >>> another two plants (Cordyline fruticosa and Sterculia villosa) from
> >>> Vir Jijamata Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai remains still buried under humus of
> >>> comments. Regards, Shrikant
>
> >>> On Feb 11, 9:38 am, "Shrikant  Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
> >>> wrote:
> >>> > Capparis once again in the focus. Large shrub or small tree 2 m tall.
> >>> Leaves 3-6 cm, elliptic, acute, cuneate; petioles 3 mm. Flowers axillary,
> >>> 3-5 cm. Fruits not seen. Flowering in Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on 10 Feb.
> >>> 2011. ID leads to C. brevispina DC. as per Flora of Maharashtra BSI. Pls
> >>> validate. Regards,Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar
> >>> Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel9120 2435 0765.Fax 91 20
> >>> 2438 9190.
>
> >>> >  Capparis.jpg
> >>> > 260KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 3:28:50 AM2/18/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Having seen C. rheedii posted by Shrikant ji in another post, the plant posted here ... (unlikely) can it be garden variety of C. rheedii ?

Regards.
Dinesh

shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 3:38:30 AM2/18/11
to efloraofindia
Plant around Mumbai is C. zeylanica L. (syn C. horrida L. f.) whereas
plant syn. of C. brevispina DC. is C. zeylanica sensu Hook. f. &
Thoms. Yes, it can be confusing unless you refer to the floras. Plant
in this thread differs from C. rheedei DC. in respect of leaves
smaller, flowers smaller, petals narrower and not pale blue and the
coloured patch on petals turning purple before fading. No fruits seen
to differenciate. Hope this helps. Regards, Shrikant

On Feb 18, 1:19 pm, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com>
wrote:
> > >>> Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel91202435 0765.Fax 91 20
> > >>> 2438 9190.
>
> > >>> >  Capparis.jpg
> > >>> > 260KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

Smilax004

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 3:49:33 AM2/18/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Vijayasankar for the discussion and pointing out the fact
why it can be brevispina not rheedii.
Now I too think that it is C.brevispina.

In C. rheedii, according to Flora of British India and Gamble, Flowers
are 4.5 inches diameter whereas, C.brevispina, flowers are 1.5-2
inches in diameter. Further, 2 lower petals are yellowish, changing to
red-brown in C.brevisina but in C.rheedii, 2 lower petals close
together with a yellow spot.



Thanks and Regards
Giby.



On Feb 18, 12:28 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far I was thinking the plant (same as the picture posted by Shrikant ji,
> and Dinesh ji's pics in flickr), which i saw in TDEF along east coast as C.
> rheedii. When Giby said 'it is endemic to W.Ghats', i realized there is
> something wrong with my id. My plant can not be C.rheedii then. Now I
> verified with the Floras by Gamble and Matthew. The descriptions (as well as
> distribution) match well with C. brevispina, as also identified by Shrikant
> ji.
>
> Thank you all. I wish also to see pictures of C.rheedii to compare with.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > *Capparis* sp. at Jijabai Udyan
>
> > ... must admit that my ID at
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/is
> > based on Google and flickr photo-search results.
> > At FOI we have Aarti ji's photo of the plant found in the same garden ...
> > and it could be the same that me and Shrikant ji have found.
>
> > While arriving to ID of *Capparis rheedii*, had not given a thought to *C.
> > brevispina*, because it is found mentioned as a synonym of *C. zeylanica*... ... hopefully my plant gets validated too.
>
> > Regards.
> > Dinesh.
>
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> I think it is *Capparis rheedii*. A common element of the tropical dry
> >> evergreen forests in TN.
> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/2369722495/in/photostream/
>
> >> Regards
>
> >> Vijayasankar Raman
> >> National Center for Natural Products Research
> >> University of Mississippi
>
> >> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM, shrikant ingalhalikar <
> >> le...@rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>> Dear All
>
> >>> Request once again to validate the ID. Incidently the ID validation of
> >>> another two plants (Cordyline fruticosa and Sterculia villosa) from
> >>> Vir Jijamata Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai remains still buried under humus of
> >>> comments. Regards, Shrikant
>
> >>> On Feb 11, 9:38 am, "Shrikant  Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
> >>> wrote:
> >>> > Capparis once again in the focus. Large shrub or small tree 2 m tall.
> >>> Leaves 3-6 cm, elliptic, acute, cuneate; petioles 3 mm. Flowers axillary,
> >>> 3-5 cm. Fruits not seen. Flowering in Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on 10 Feb.
> >>> 2011. ID leads to C. brevispina DC. as per Flora of Maharashtra BSI. Pls
> >>> validate. Regards,Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar
> >>> Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel9120 2435 0765.Fax 91 20
> >>> 2438 9190.
>
> >>> >  Capparis.jpg
> >>> > 260KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 4:29:14 AM2/18/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much for making me aware of Capparis zeylanica being described by two authors, as such two separate identities.

With responses from Vijayasankar ji and Giby ji, the Capparis shrub at Jijabai Udyan is almost turning out to be as per your hunch, Capparis brevispina.

Regards.
Dinesh

shrikant ingalhalikar

unread,
Feb 18, 2011, 7:08:10 AM2/18/11
to efloraofindia
The intention of posting a plant seen in a garden is to ascertain the
ID and to trace its origin. I have not come accross this plant in
Maharashtra though it is reported in the BSI flora of Maharashtra. I
would be keen to know if anyone on the group (besides Vijaysankar in
Eastern ghats) has seen the plant in wild habitat. Regards, Shrikant

On Feb 18, 2:29 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very very much for making me aware of *Capparis zeylanica* being
> described by two authors, as such two separate identities.
>
> With responses from Vijayasankar ji and Giby ji, the Capparis shrub at
> Jijabai Udyan is almost turning out to be as per your hunch, *Capparis
> brevispina*.
> > > >>> Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel91202435 0765.Fax 91
> > 20
> > > >>> 2438 9190.
>
> > > >>> >  Capparis.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

unread,
Feb 19, 2011, 3:34:44 PM2/19/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I cant stop laughing......
There is one very funny aspect in this discussion.
Every one is saying Capparis rheedii except Shrikant sir who is using
Capparis rheedei.
Logically Shrikant sir is right as, according to latin, any person's
name if transformed into species epithet, if it ends with a vowel,
then it cant have double "i" and hence it should be "rheedei" and not
"rheedii".
On IPNI it is given as Capparis rheedei!
But when I looked into the protologue, it says, Capparis rheedii,
which is logically incorrect, but taxonomically it has to be accepted.
Anyways, my mail has nothing to do with the identity of the plant concerned.
Regards
Pankaj


On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM, shrikant ingalhalikar

--
***********************************************
"TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"


Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smilax004

unread,
Feb 20, 2011, 1:18:32 AM2/20/11
to efloraofindia, PANKAJ KUMAR
Thank you very much for pointing out the mistake. I didn't notice the
same.
Thanks again for correcting.



Regards,
Giby
> >> > > >>> Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel912024350765.Fax 91
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages